Ongoing Ferret repairs..............

Chris Preston

Greetings All,

Since I joined the Ashton Armoury Museum here in Victoria, BC, 3 years ago, I've assumed responsibility for the care and feeding (and driving) of our Museum's Daimler Ferret Mk 2/3, and have already accomplished (or caused to be accomplished) a number of major repairs to make our vehicle more reliable and safe to operate. Now we can start to address fluid leaks.

The first fluid (oil) leak we need to address is in the Transfer Case. We have gear oil leaking from one or more of the flanges for the four Final Drive Output Shafts and the two Mounting Brackets. When we replaced the Transmission Brake Bands last year we also replaced the seal - part number 75 in the Parts Manual diagram for the Transfer Case.

We plan on removing the Gear Box/Transfer Case later this year to deal with the fluid leak(s) around the flanges but need to know what the best material is to properly seal the Seal Packs and Bearing Carriers in all six locations ($ Output Shafts, and 2 Mounting Brackets. Can anyone advise?

The other leak issue is with the four wheel hubs, as we notice oil on the concrete (small amounts) by all four wheels - what seal would be the most likely suspect?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC,

Canada

In Service, we used to make gaskets out of job cards! You could use a cereal packet to do the same job ;)

Place the card over the part needing a gasket, tap all over the mounting area with a spanner. this forces the metal underneath, to 'cut' through the card. & reproduce the shape of the surface, the gasket will be mounted against.

We used to use 'Hylomar' , or as we used to term it. 'Blue, Glue' as the 'sealant', in conjuction with the new 'Gasket'. :-\

These days, there are far superior sealants that abound on the shop shelves. Be liberal with them, & ensure your nuts/ bolts are tightened evenly to the correct torques! :thumbsup:

With regards to the gearbox/transmission leaks. Make sure that you have not overfilled it with fluid. This can cause it to leak. As for the hubs. Strip them down, replace everything new, new seals, bearing, CV boots, hubs and repaint with military issue paint, fill with 80w/90, wait and watch it leak. Repeat this as many times as you want, and it will produce the same result. Trust me, Ive done everything, tried everything, it just leaks. Over time, you will convince yourself that it is leaking less.

The rear hubs of my Ferret, which I've overhauled, do not leak!

Tip - replace copper washers with dowty seals on the fillers and drain plugs. Ensure The Challis (spelling?) under the boot is smooth, if it's not it will soon wear out {damage} any new oil seal. The boot is not there to retain oil. but to keep out muck and dirt.

I would recommend flushing out the hub before fitting new seals.

There are 2 joints at the front of the hub, ensure they are not leaking. If they are use Hylomar but sparingly (If it gets into the threaded holes it causes problems, cured by using a thread tap). The hub front use 1936 pattern socket head (Allen) screws, they have a different head size to the later common 1960 pattern, hence if renewed the hole will have to be counter sunk which can be done using a bench drill.

Diana

With regards to the gearbox/transmission leaks. Make sure that you have not overfilled it with fluid. This can cause it to leak. As for the hubs. Strip them down, replace everything new, new seals, bearing, CV boots, hubs and repaint with military issue paint, fill with 80w/90, wait and watch it leak. Repeat this as many times as you want, and it will produce the same result. Trust me, Ive done everything, tried everything, it just leaks. Over time, you will convince yourself that it is leaking less.