Hotchkiss not revving smoothly

slick50

Can't seem to get to the bottom of poor running problem on my Hotchkiss.Un earthed her after a few years in the shed and decided to get the poor running problem sorted.

Changed points,condenser,coil,fuel lift pump.....still won't rev smoothly...like as if it's running too lean.Will try and get her timed ,although no difference when I move the dissy about.

Just hoping someone can hit on something I've missed maybe?....fuel is fresh and carb bowl full to right level.

It's the Solex carb with the waterproof distributor.Have got good spark at plugs....gapped points and plugs 30 thou and tried them at 20.

Thanks in advance for any help

Can't seem to get to the bottom of poor running problem on my Hotchkiss.Un earthed her after a few years in the shed and decided to get the poor running problem sorted.

Changed points,condenser,coil,fuel lift pump.....still won't rev smoothly...like as if it's running too lean.Will try and get her timed ,although no difference when I move the dissy about.

Just hoping someone can hit on something I've missed maybe?....fuel is fresh and carb bowl full to right level.

It's the Solex carb with the waterproof distributor.Have got good spark at plugs....gapped points and plugs 30 thou and tried them at 20.

Common problem with any vehicle left unused, rubbish petrol today degrades after a while and leaves deposits in the carb, give the carb/jets etc a good clean out, did you drain all the old fuel out of the tank? also check any flexible fuel pipes, they can collapse internally, and of course check fuel filter

Edited by Nick Johns

I agree that left over fuel could be the problem. I've just had a little generator that I decided to revive after three or four years. There was a trickle of fuel left in it. It would kick over but not run. The main jet was clogged with a brown goo, quick clean with a fine wire and away it went first pull. Spray in and add to top carb cleanears just don't seem to have the clout on fuel that old, so be prepared to go manual on the carb.