New member, Humber Snipe Staff Car

Saleh

Hello All,

thank you for allowing me to join the forum.

My name is Saleh & I live in London.

My reason for joining is that my late father owned a Humber Snipe staff car, which he took great care of & pride in. It is currently sitting in Kuwait, though my sisters & I would like to bring it back to England at some point. I am afraid that I do not have many details, as the paperwork has all been lost. The car itself has been sitting idle for several years now, which is a bit sad. I've attached some photos from it's prime in about 1981, before my father took it to Kuwait.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has some knowledge about this model, and maybe this car in particular. Also any ideas about what to do to provide the most exposure/enjoyment from it - would a museum be interested in housing it for example? Unfortunately none of us have any storage space, which is one reason for the delay in bringing it back here. Another reason is that as I said earlier, the paperwork was lost after my father died, so we're not sure how to get the relevant papers for exporting it from Kuwait. Someone told me that we need the chassis number in the first instance - though I'm not sure where to locate this! I was in Kuwait recently and had a look over the car - unfortunately it does now look like it needs quite a bit of renovation work.

Many thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you,

Saleh

Humber 1.jpg

Humber 2.jpg

Humber 3.jpg

Humber 4.jpg

Humber 5.jpg

Humber letter.jpg

That is indeed a rare Humber, so good to see another one exists, there were rumours of another Humber convertible thought to exist abroad somewhere.

They were a coachbuilt body made only for military use, there are the Two famous ex-Field Marshall Montgomery Humber covertibles in existance that he used throughout WW2, one is on display in the Coventry Transport museum, the other one is at the Imperial War museum Duxford.

The only other known Military Humber covertible in the UK belongs to the "History On Wheels Museum" at Eton Wick near Windsor, Berkshire, not far from London, contact Peter Oliver they would be very interested to hear of another Humber convertible, the museum opens once a month, next open day is sunday June 26th

http://www.historyonwheels.co.uk/

There is another Humber convertible that appears at shows and parades but it is actually a re creation based on a converted miltary Humber saloon staff car

Edited by Nick Johns

Welcome, depending on where it's registered, the VIN might still be in the system somewhere and you probably can get a new title. It would be worth to look into that procedure, and this car is certainly worth to be on the roads again. When it has a title again you shouldn't have any problems exporting it to the UK. A standard-sized garage will be enough to store it and do some basic restoration work. Good luck!

Alexander Scott I'm restoring one the same model right now. Chassis number is on a plate welded to the top of the chassis rail left side visible if you open the bonnet on the passenger side of the car and look down.

I'll be more than happy to take on any restoration work you need doing if you get it back to UK. I keep a wide range of spares for this model in stock and have restored several before. Check out my Facebook photo albums.

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 3.56.25 PM.png

Alan Spicer My Brothers friend Robin was given the task of finding various Humber models for a client in Kuwait in the 80's including a Tourer ,Ambulance,Radio truck .A truck bought as spares for the rebuilding of these vehicles was purchased and restored by my Brother and now owned by Tobin Jones.Could this be the Tourer ?

Alan Spicer Saleh , I have just checked Dvla site and the Humber is listed as Black,Petrol ,4086cc first registered 06 July 1951.Last tax was due 1st September 1983 . Hope this helps.

Hi Saleh

Nice Humber!

I have recently finished a year long project restoring my 1933 Humber Snipe 80 Sports Saloon. It's not much related to your model but I may be able to offer some Humber tips.

Firstly...the Post Vintage Humber Car Club (PVHCC) has been most useful in assisting with spare parts and advice for this (also) very rare model. They were also successful in winning a battle with the DVLA to let me retain the original registration number.

It has been quite a change for me restoring a civilian vehicle after more than 10 years full time restoring British armour.

My wife dictated 'anything you like so long as it's not green!'

The Snipe 80 has some military connection as it was used during WW2 as a towing car for the local garage, and into the 50s on trade plates. It had not been taxed since the war, and certainly never had an MOT. Most of the chassis for this model were converted to civilian ambulances and were used throughout Britain, especially in Coventry.

Here it is now.

DSC_0082_zpsdhy139q7.jpg

And a year ago!

4005_zps30470079.jpg

It will now be used for shows and local weddings.

Incidentally I have recently visited the Coventry Transport Museum, which has an extensive collection, and is free.

The Imperial War Museum in London has one of Monty's convertible Humbers in their new refurbished WW2 hall. I presume this is the one from Duxford.

Edited by FourFox