Bl***y fool

Great War truck

It was a lovely sunny day today so I took my youngest daughter for a drive in the Jeep with the windscreen down and no canopy (as it is supposed to be). After about 20 miles or so I stalled it on a hill when I was giving way to an oncoming car and I could not get it started again. While I was standing there this old chap appeared and said" "Ah a Willys Jeep, I have not seen one of these for a long time, where on earth did you find it". Now I like talking to complete strangers as you never know where it might lead - always hoping for "I have one of these in my shed, not touched it for 40" years or something like that. Anyway, what followed was a bit like this. "My Father bought one in 1948 and we used it as the family car for a few years. It was horrible. Always breaking down. Would not got over 59 miles an hour. All these levers and gauges, he never worked out what they were for. It was cold It was draughtly. He built a proper wooden body for it and it was rubbish. We all hated it". He then directed the following comments to my daughter. "Tell your dad he is a fool, a b****y fool, a complete idiot for buying this load of rubbish. If he wants a real American car he should buy a Firebird or a Corvette" and then walked off.

It is nice to get a different perspective to the Jeep story. After he walked away and my friend John appeared to help bump start it if necessary it started just like that. Make note to self, time to buy new battery and tell daughter not to talk to strange men.

He then directed the following comments to my daughter. "Tell your dad he is a fool, a b****y fool, a complete idiot for buying this load of rubbish. If he wants a real American car he should buy a Firebird or a Corvette" and then walked off.
Congratulations to you sir, for not punching that asshole in the mouth and knocking a few teeth loose. IT would not have been worth a trip to the city jail and lawsuit, but man oh man, did he deserve it.

Reminds me of a guy walked up to my 72 Challenger right after I finished it. He whistles and says, "Man, I would steal that in a heart-beat"

I told him, "it's a nice car but it's not worth dying for".

I couldn't get it out quick enough!

Actually, this old chap did not offend me. I am always interested in other people take of the Jeep. I am sure that most Land Rover owners would agree with him.

I have spoken to many WW2 veterans who said that the Jeep was wonderful. I am sure that as a young man when his dad bought a surplus one in the 1940's that it did not make a good family car hence his memory of it is a little jaded.

I agree - no point taking offence - it is just nice to have people recognise what it is you're driving and, as you say, you never know what they'll come up with. A few years ago I was parked up in my MV in a supermarket car park and this old chap came up and told me how he'd driven one just like it when he was doing National Service and how much fun he'd had in his Champ. We had quite a chat... didn't have the heart to tell him I was driving an Uaz!

10 68

Plenty of people tell me that I'm crazy for owning a Saracen and a Ferret. Plenty more tell me how much they love them. At the end of the day, and being rather blunt about it, I don't give a f*** either way; they make me happy and that's all that really matters - although I do prefer talking to the people that like them :P

Cheers,

Terry

as a land rover owner i can feel your pain. people call us fools for driving old crap, but in the end, we drive what we like and no outsider criticisms are listened too. in the end, working long days on the seven landies we got keeps me out of the pub and out of trouble.

as a land rover owner i can feel your pain. people call us fools for driving old crap, but in the end, we drive what we like and no outsider criticisms are listened too. in the end, working long days on the seven landies we got keeps me out of the pub and out of trouble.

7 qty. , that all , must be a newby , must try harder.

7 qty. , that all , must be a newby , must try harder.

At one point I had seven in the street parked up and all hell broke loose between me, my neighbors and the environmental police. I was allowed to keep two. Put two in storage, scrapped two and gave my dad one. I came at peace with everyone till I bought a sankey and a ya 126 trailer the police forced me to sell. A new fight began. I got married and the wife had her own 109 and 101, we had a 90 together, I was given a 101 as wedding gift, same as a series 3 88. I have had a few, been around the block with repairs too, my first welds were crappy and the result is me learning to be a fully qualified welder.

Wow, you have more patience than me. I cant tolerate these guys. If the vehicle was so awesome, the military would still be driving them. But in the day, they were the thing. The pyramid of Giza is a pile of rocks, its nothing compared to the buildings in any major city in the world. But in the day, the pyramid was a pretty impressive thing to behold, and still is. The wilson pre-select auto was the best thing since sliced bread in 1952, but you wouldnt want one in your car now. But, they even today, you have to give credit to the engineers who built them back in the day. Whats wrong with these idiots. Dont they understand that these vehicles are time capsules to the time they were built and thats what makes them great. Seriously, these guys really annoy me. Armchair experts that dont know the difference between a 13 ml spanner and a half inch.