Towing a Landrover

Surveyor

I may have to recover a land rover from a EU country, I will be alone and thinking of an A Frame towing system, does any one have advise on how and where to connect the tow if no dolly.

If I am going to use my land rover any idea where to hire a dolly to take the front wheels which has a NATO hitch compatible towing

Many thanks in advance

It would be far safer to hire a trailer to transport the Landrover, Laws abroad can be different to the UK. A frames and tow dollys are not always considered as legal to use in a lot of EU countries, the lack of brakes, weight of the towed landrover etc, their Police can impose on the spot fines too if they consider what you are towing is illegal

Edited by Nick Johns

It is legal to recover RECOVER with a unbraked dolly , some say you can't transport TRANSPORT with a braked dolly . Of course those people who who say

eg

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408927/a-frames-and-dollies.pdf

- have in fact AFAIK never undertaken any functional testing of a braked dolly, I doubt even to date if ever any of their staff have ever towed using a braked dolly. Of course you don't need the rear wheels of the "recovered" vehicle to be braked , the design of the dolly brakes takes that in to account (why brake two axles when only one needs to be braked) , and in fact the law states not even the dolly needs to be braked !!

http://www.phoenixtrailer.co.uk/product/towing-dollies-99/

My dolly was made in full compliance by Armitage Trailers..

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Think you will find A frame towing in Europe is no longer legal 500 euro on spot fine

Not strictly so. Motor-homes, especially the larger ones tend to drag a small city car behind them as a run-about on an A-Frame. However - the car has to be coupled into the motor homes electrics so that its rear lights work in conjunctions with the motor-homes (no light boards) and I believe the cars brakes must be operated by the motor-homes . Usually electrically - there are firms that fit the necessary kit to do this. It's been a long while since I had reason to look but I believe Spain is the only county that absolutely prohibits A Frames.

So to answer the original question - you would be better off as others have said hiring a trailer. Only problem would be finding one that will hook up to a NATO hitch and electrical socket.

Another option if you have the correct license would be to hire a beavertail for the trip.

Towing with an a frame : in UK must be brake connected to "trailer part "of combination (except less than 750kg mam) unless just removing broken down vehicle to place of safety . Under EU rules towing with a frame (brakes connected) is legal under reciprocity , ie if allowed in UK , there is even printouts downloadable on "tow a car" in various languages, and evidence of a fine being refunded thru Spanish court acknowledging the reciprocity law .

flat towing land rover , just put transfer in neutral no other prep required.

Real world move it using a trailer , based on speed, safety and financial analysis JMHO

Towing with an a frame : in UK must be brake connected to "trailer part "of combination (except less than 750kg mam) unless just removing broken down vehicle to place of safety . Under EU rules towing with a frame (brakes connected) is legal under reciprocity , ie if allowed in UK , there is even printouts downloadable on "tow a car" in various languages, and evidence of a fine being refunded thru Spanish court acknowledging the reciprocity law .

flat towing land rover , just put transfer in neutral no other prep required.

Real world move it using a trailer , based on speed, safety and financial analysis JMHO

Sorry , no , never try and tow or dolly a Series with the Transfer Lever in neutral , it is intended that the neutral is the best handbrake - better than the transmission brake , this position is for PTO and some winching purposes.

On a dolly , if you drag the rig with T box in neutral , then you can drive the Rover off over the front of dolly , depends on the horses & where your eyes are. Not a lot of people know this fine point , "some" learn the hard way , after using a Junior hacksaw on the last two flange bolts, wiring up the prop and only then using their brain LoL

From memory I think you will find a towed vehicle needs to be taxed and insured.

No RTV or SORN , it is a articulated trailer , no I may be wrong on that , IIRc you don't want to be a agricultural implement cat. (you don't wish to have another speed restriction) , it would be bad form to unnecessary slow down following traffic by 10 mph in any case. In practical terms it is the mass and braking of the towing vehicle + boost from any dolly braking (that is in fact negligible on the steepest hills of England , Scotland & Wales) , "some" have actually carried out brake functional tests to the dolly limit.