Whitworth socket set.

Ex-boy

Question

Hi all.

I have a set of arrow-marked 1/2 inch drive Whitworth sockets, seven standard, from 1/4 to 9/16, plus two extra-deep (spark-plug) ones, of 7/16 and 9/16.

They are in a box, but I'm not sure if the box is the correct one for them. It is stamped FA 17347.

Can anyone tell me if the box is correct for those sockets, and if not, what number should it have and what set should go with the FA 17347?

With bated breath,

best regards,

Steve Gray

14 answers to this question

Steve VAOS Section F is tools & workshop equipment, later as a DMC spawned FI tools (non-powered) in COSA. I have a complete COSA F1 but that is all NSNs.

I only have bits of VAOS Section F from 1955. I see that spanners & sockets occupy FA17000 - FA17595 (at least)

I cannot find FA17347 although it sits in the right area. I cannot tell you if it is correct for your set, but it seems likely.

Best send it to me to get rid of it I will pay postage as a favour LoL:D

It's yours if you PM an address. I'm afraid I'm a bit old-fashioned and don't have paypal or online banking, so any payment will need to be a cheque.

I may have a few more bits and pieces, but will presumably need to advertise them elsewhere, as it would be off-topic here.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve VAOS Section F is tools & workshop equipment, later as a DMC spawned FI tools (non-powered) in COSA. I have a complete COSA F1 but that is all NSNs.

I only have bits of VAOS Section F from 1955. I see that spanners & sockets occupy FA17000 - FA17595 (at least)

I cannot find FA17347 although it sits in the right area. I cannot tell you if it is correct for your set, but it seems likely.

Thanks for that Clive, I have a few boxes, but most are smaller and wouldn't hold the set, so I believe they all go together and it seems they may have found a new home.

Best regards,

Steve.

Clive, at risk of being cheeky, could I ask if your VAOS lists the following numbers? These are (empty) boxes for 1/2 inch socket sets I believe (including a supplementary set). If they can be ID'd then I'll happily donate them to someone, if anyone wants them.

FA 17530 and FA 17340.

There is another box, also sadly empty, with a partial NATO number, 127-6737, which is up for grabs, so an ID there would also be beneficial.

As you can see, I'm having a clear-out and can't let this stuff go in the skip.

Regards,

Steve.

It's yours if you PM an address. I'm afraid I'm a bit old-fashioned and don't have paypal or online banking, so any payment will need to be a cheque.

I may have a few more bits and pieces, but will presumably need to advertise them elsewhere, as it would be off-topic here.

Regards,

Steve.

P.M. sent:D

No problem Steve.

FA17530 Socket, midget, sets "A"

FA17340 not listed but this is Royal Signals publication & it just happens not to be listed in any of their various tool kits.

Excellent service Clive, thank you! I'm fairly sure the second one is a supplementary box for 1/2 inch drive sockets, as it is that kind of size and layout, so I'll offer it up as that.

Did you have any info on the NATO number? Sorry to be a pain.

Steve.

Well this COSA Section F1 is 215 pages & it is all NSNs, no VAOS numbers to cross relate.

If you tell me the full complement with exact sizes & whether the box is metal or wood, I might spot a look a like socket set section.

Well this COSA Section F1 is 215 pages & it is all NSNs, no VAOS numbers to cross relate.

If you tell me the full complement with exact sizes & whether the box is metal or wood, I might spot a look a like socket set section.

Clive, the box is steel and 3 X 5 5/8 inches X 1 3/4 deep. It only has 127-6737 1978 King Dick stamped on but as it has an internal divider, it seems to me likely to be for 1/2 inch drive sockets of either A/F or Metric types.

If it is a pain to check, then please don't worry about it, as it's just one of many items and I dare say someone will be happy to take it and put it to use.

Steve.

Steve you have given me the NIIN 127-6737 so that can be reconstructed to give the NSN 5120-99-127-6737 :D

Of course the DMC is F1

This corresponds to:

Socket set, socket spanner, metric, 1/2in sq drive

Comprising: 11 sockets, sizes 11mm to 21mm A/F

Steve you have given me the NIIN 127-6737 so that can be reconstructed to give the NSN 5120-99-127-6737 :D

Of course the DMC is F1

This corresponds to:

Socket set, socket spanner, metric, 1/2in sq drive

Comprising: 11 sockets, sizes 11mm to 21mm A/F

Wonderful.Thanks again Clive. I wasn't far wrong then, just a pity the box is empty!

Best regards,

Steve.

Steve it's quite satisfying untangling part numbers, nearly as good as deciphering the codes in the printer's imprint in military publications :D

I can see where you are coming from, and I'm glad you have the time and patience to do it for others, so enjoy.

Best wishes,

Steve.