Cold War Soviet badges ID

jamessolomon

Been down to Hack Green Secret Nuclear Bunker to there cold war event and purchased some badges from a table in one of the sheds someone was selling the first where Aeroflot badges from certain periods with helicopters on them the 2nd i have no clue about and pictures below may help identifying them for information. For £10 for the pair is a steal and they look quite nice the aviation ones perked by interest for my collection and he happen to mention these at the same price so i thought id grab them as they looked nice and interesting but have no idea what they are, what they say or where on the uniform theyd go

Heres the pouch they came in

IMG_3014_zpsshzcogkt.jpg

and here are the badges

IMG_3017_zpsd37loumn.jpg

Been down to Hack Green Secret Nuclear Bunker to there cold war event and purchased some badges from a table in one of the sheds someone was selling the first where Aeroflot badges from certain periods with helicopters on them the 2nd i have no clue about and pictures below may help identifying them for information. For £10 for the pair is a steal and they look quite nice the aviation ones perked by interest for my collection and he happen to mention these at the same price so i thought id grab them as they looked nice and interesting but have no idea what they are, what they say or where on the uniform theyd go

Heres the pouch they came in

and here are the badges

IMG_3017_zpsd37loumn.jpg

They are commemorative badges of the Russian "Golden Ring" - Золото́е кольцо́ - the wording in Cyrillic which is common to them all around the lower half. The Golden Ring is well described on Wikipedia as a number of cities to the Northeast of Moscow comprising the former region of Zalesye. Have a look there and you'll get all you need. They are simply souvenirs of a kind very popular in Russia, with no military connection, I'm afraid. The cities are, top left to right: Vladimir, Suzdal, Moscow, Pereslavl-Zalesski, Rostov. Bottom L - R: Yaroslavl, Ivanovo, Kostroma, Sergiev-Posad.

10 68

So are they just souvenirs or just something then out for a commemoration of some event or anniversary or something

Just souvenirs, I'm afraid. These light alloy pin badges are very popular in Russia and other Central European countries and turn up at all the tourist stalls. These are more interesting in that they are a set - "nabor znachkov" "set of little badges", but probably only of real interest to someone who has visited the nine cities. The "commemorative" aspect is to do with their all being "Golden Ring" cities. I'm sure there will be a similar set for the Hero Cities - those which were proclaimed Heroic and awarded the order "Hero of the Soviet Union" after WWII. They would have greater interest for the military collector. (Just had a quick look on Google and, yep! There's a set there).

But, as I said, have a look at Wikipedia and you'll be able to read all you'll ever want to know about the Golden Ring

Best

10 68