Mk2/5 Ferret.

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Hi again, I am about to put some new fan belts on which came with my ferret but they seem to small. They have a I.D. tag on them with

LV10 FV.144503

2F.2813

Belts Driving

Qty 1 Pair.

Can anyone tell if these are the correct set for this ferret which is a Mk2/5 B60 lump.

Many thanks

Steve.

Hi again, I am about to put some new fan belts on which came with my ferret but they seem to small. They have a I.D. tag on them with

LV10 FV.144503

2F.2813

Belts Driving

Qty 1 Pair.

Can anyone tell if these are the correct set for this ferret which is a Mk2/5 B60 lump.

Many thanks

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Correct part number, they are very tight to fit and you need to ensure the generator is slackened off as far as possible. I wind them on by pulling the fan round. Have done many, with skinned knuckles to prove it!

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard, does look like they will fit now I have managed to free off the adjuster a bit more. The old belts that must have been on it before I got the ferret must have been stretched quite a bit as the adjuster was at about half way. As you say, this will have to be taken right back to its full stop and even then looks as if its going to be tight. The manual says the slack is at 1" on the vertical between crank shaft pully & water pump pully. Going to have to take off the ign. coil to get to the adjuster a bit better as the thread is quite rusty. Oh yes, and shall watch my knuckles.

Cheers Steve.:thanx:

The generator/water pump belts on my Ferret are in pretty shabby shape and I need to replace them. Do you just remove the coupling between the fan and the water pump and thread them through there? Has anyone tried using segmented belts instead?

Cheers,

Terry

The generator/water pump belts on my Ferret are in pretty shabby shape and I need to replace them. Do you just remove the coupling between the fan and the water pump and thread them through there? Has anyone tried using segmented belts instead?

Cheers,

Terry

Terry,

Better to use proper v-belts as the fan and dynamo take some driving. You take the coupling out from between w/pump and fan, get the first belt in first groove of crank pulley, once you have wound the belt in this groove, move it over to second groove, then fit second belt.

Thanks Richard, does look like they will fit now I have managed to free off the adjuster a bit more. The old belts that must have been on it before I got the ferret must have been stretched quite a bit as the adjuster was at about half way. As you say, this will have to be taken right back to its full stop and even then looks as if its going to be tight. The manual says the slack is at 1" on the vertical between crank shaft pully & water pump pully. Going to have to take off the ign. coil to get to the adjuster a bit better as the thread is quite rusty. Oh yes, and shall watch my knuckles.

Cheers Steve.:thanx:

Remember to really concentrate on hanging on to your tools or they could be lost under the engine....

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing this tonight and it is a total pain. I have managed to get one belt on to the first row, but can't get it to move across to the second, after several hours of sweating and swearing. I have now given up for the night.

Cheers,

Terry

I have been doing this tonight and it is a total pain. I have managed to get one belt on to the first row, but can't get it to move across to the second, after several hours of sweating and swearing. I have now given up for the night.

Cheers,

Terry

Hi Terry, I had the same problem. In the end I took the water pump pulley off, put both belts on but can only get them onto the first 2 grooves. Then with a block of wood between the crank shaft pulley and water pump pulley gently lifted the water pump up to align the holes and screwed the pulley back on. Took me about 25mins. But saying that I did not have the rad and cowling in the way. Tried all morning to do it the way you have been trying and got fed up. I could not get the generator to push all the way back to the block as the ignition filter unit is in the way and would be a pain to try and take it off. If this was out of the way then I think the belts would have gone over the pulley's a lot easier with out the hassle It has been. I was lucky because I have not had to deal with trying to do this with the rad etc in the way. Best of luck.

Regards Steve.

Got it sorted, and went to the trouble of putting the belts nearest the engine. My tips are:

1. Remove the fan coupling
  2. Liberally spray down the adjuster with WD-40
  3. Back it off as far as it goes. This is painful and the generator will hit the coil mount when there is still room to go on the adjuster. Removing the coil may be an option, but I didn't try it.
  4. Wind in the other nut on the adjuster in, to hold the generator at the slackest position. Finger tight will do.
  5. Cut the old belts off. You'll never get them in one piece.
  6. Lube up the belts and pulleys with plenty of liquid soap.
  7. Put the belts on the bottom pulley first (there is a bolt or something under the bottom, so not much clearance. Prize it in with your fingers).
  8. Then go round the generator.
  9. Finally the water pump. A lever will help get it over, as will someone turning the crank handle.
  10. Pry the belt over on the crank pulley, while someone turns it.
  11. Repeat on the water pump.
  12. Feed a shim between the generator pulley and the belt from underneath and when it's lifted clear of the belt, pry it over to the next row. The best shim I found was the flattened cardboard tube from the centre of a roll of duct tape, fed in lengthwise. It was strong enough to hold the belt clear of the pulley, pliable enough to wrap around the pulley, long enough to cover most of the contact patch and grippy enough to get pulled under the belts, even while covered with soap.
  13. Repeat until both belts are in the correct positions.
  14. Refit the coupling to the fan.
  15. Back the outer nut on the adjuster right off.
  16. Tension the belt. Turn the engine over a few times with the crank handle while doing it.
  17. Run the engine, while gently hosing all the soap out (make sure an access plate has been removed).
  18. Recheck tension.
  19. Tighten outer adjuster nut to lock it in place.
  20. Drink beer.

Cheers,

Terry

• Like 1

Quite amazed at all the problems changing 2 belts seems to cause, removed old belts (they were in fact new), replaced some fan bolts, replaced the belts with no real problems using the technique employed by Richard - job done.

I will admit to using a large flat bladed screwdriver to do a bit of levering but that was it.

Diana