S3 lightweight winch

guykay

Hi, I have an S3 lightweight & am considering fitting a winch on the front. Was this fine in period? And if so what type was used?

I have seen drum & capstan winches driven by a PTO , and of course there are Lekky ones. But I'd like to fit one that would have been used in period if possible

I do not recall ever seeing a Lightweight Landrover in Military service fitted with a winch, or in fact fitted to any SWB 88", winches on Military Landrovers were fairly rare then and only seen fitted to the LWB 109", usually Artillery Regt vehicles, Turner drum winches If I remember right

Edited by Nick Johns

Well , it all depends.

Look at page 75 photograph of Graham Robson Land Rover : Workhorse to the World.

1968 Rover 1 . 1/2 ton fitted drum winch and bearing civvy plate VXC 702F , ISTR this was a Solihull publicity vehicle that wore several VRM plates inc. MOD type and possibly different numbers. Who actually owned this truck at whatever time - I don't know. IIRC it is considered quite special & if it still exists - I don't know.

As far as I understand it 'lightweight' was something of a misnomer, & in fact the lightweights were actually heavier than a standard 80". It was just that they were capable of being stripped down to the bare essentials and still function which then made them light enough for sir transportation by aircraft of the day.

I don't really want to put a modern electric winch on the front of the old girl as it would look a bit 'tarty'. Any other suggestions?

I have never seen, or seen a mod for, a winch on a S3 LtWt. (although I have seen electric winches embellishing S3 LtWts fitted by civilian owners for their own purposes)

There is an EMER for fitting a Mayflower winch Mk 3 to a Rover 11.

There is an EMER for fitting a winch to a Wombat Rover, but when you look at the EMER applying to Rover 1 it had no winch.

There is an EMER for fitting a Turner 'Mini' 2500 lb SWL winch to a 1/4 Ton, but that is 1963.

A standard 80" (circa. abt. 1948 / 1950 is only approx. 24 cwt. A Lightweight is a bit more than a basic 88" civvy or 88" CL , all around 30 cwt. Twintanks full /empty - depends on fair comparison.

L'wt "full stripped" - is lighter than Regular 88".

The in period engine driven winches drum or capstan are premium £ if all complete and top $ because of the pose factor , I suppose a period hydraulic one is more practical (electricity board linesmen used them from at least early 1970's). Aftermarket electrical became more popular from abt. 1980 as a play-thing ,,

Edited by ruxy
spelin

As has been noted, the Lightweight wasn't particulary light but was lighter than the normal S2/S3 SWBs, especially with all the removeable bits taken off: doors, rear top cappings etc. More importantly it was narrower as it was designed to fit into the Beverly, hence the slab sided body and unique to type axle ends.

As for a winch, you might like to consider a hydraulic one, some years ago these were popular when driven off a power steering pump which you would have to fit of course.

You need to consider when you will use your winch, hydraulic and PTO need a running engine, electric needs a BIG battery. Also worth think about where you will use it, a front winch pulls you further into trouble, a rear one pulls you out.

GMB

just sold a civilian series one 88inch had a fairey capstan winch neat bit of kit mounted across the front chassis and engaged into a replacement crankshaft nut i have seen these on series 2s not cheap now i saw one for a grand but all the spares are available could be dangerous! really its what you want it for. just out of interest this one had COASTGUARD cast into the top of the capstan:undecided:

Ah yes, the capstan. I have one on my 86". Make up a phrase involving the words skin, rice pudding, pull and won't to get an idea of how good they are. If you do get one read up about them and where the shear pins are, both of them. These winches can bite you very hard.

GMB