disintegrating soles on assault boots

x2onion

Has anyone else had problems with melting soles? I wore my shiny pair of CAB to an event last night and they started to dissolve into to floor, leaving a trail of what looked like tar everywhere I went. I ended up peeling off the soles during the interval and binning them. They came off very easily.

Boot's, Assault. This is a now known common defect with these Boot's, sadly! :cry:

I was issued them in my Second Career when moving from the Reg Army, To the Then TA. (Now the Reserve Forces) :nut:

They were comfortable & a huge leap forward from the Old DMS Boots! However, it has transpired, that for some reason.

If you do NOT wear them very regularly, the soles deteriorate rapidly & disintegrate!!! :-X

I had this happen a few years back. When I climbed back into uniform. To take a Ferret to a Fund Raising Event.

VERY disconcerting to be walking about in Public, & finding 'Bit's' of rubber all over the place! :nut:

I later discovered, that the manufacturers had moved the machinery around in their factory production lines for some reason?

And this had disturbed the callibration of the various components that went into moulding the soles.

Why the machines weren't checked prior to commencing production again. remains a mystery!...............:(

Direct-injected polyurethane soles. We've had terrible trouble with safety boots at work in the odd smaller and larger sizes that sit on the shelf...after five or six years, it's usually possible to pull unused soles off by hand - I've seen it happen with the natural 'brown' and with black soles.

They're supposed to be chemical-resistant but can't stand a few years in a warm atmosphere. I don't know how the manufacturers get away with it really.

• 3 years later...

yeah, I think they must be, they are the upgrade of the awful "Boots Hi-leg" and Identical to boots I was issued in the early 90's, which fits in with the Op Granby date. I have seen boots in worse condition mine haven't quite got there yet, Oh well.

I might try the re-sole option.

I do have a copy of Boots combat High, which look identcal and have the zig-zag tread  but the leather is different, I've been told they are Canadian. they seem ok so I can wear them for Public events. shame though, they aren't as comfy!

Edited by webkitlover

On 12/9/2015 at 10:27 PM, 79x100 said:

Direct-injected polyurethane soles. We've had terrible trouble with safety boots at work in the odd smaller and larger sizes that sit on the shelf...after five or six years, it's usually possible to pull unused soles off by hand - I've seen it happen with the natural 'brown' and with black soles.

They're supposed to be chemical-resistant but can't stand a few years in a warm atmosphere. I don't know how the manufacturers get away with it really.

I guess you could say, The Manufacturers now. 'Aint got no Soul'!...…………...Ill get 'Me coat!...….🤓

• 1 year later...