matador restoration.

doug fleet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
got some of the new bits welded in this weekend. also got the rivets knocked out the inner wing armour ready to replace the rotten bits. progress has been a bit slow the last few weekends as work has got in the way . but I keep chipping away at it when I have time

I don't have any photos today , but got the drives side wing top drilled aswell as the angles that rivet onto it all test fitted to the inner wing and loads of holes drilled in the new bits that are welded in . progress is a bit slow at the moment as I have been working all day Saturdays

This is what it should have, according to a document I have.

Nick

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113596[/ATTACH]

chassie number is 0583 4385 , engine number is A173sd190 I will look for the gearbox numbers when I next go over. I didn't think any one was whatching this thread and was going to stop posting , glad I didn't now.thank you for the imfo

No PLESAE don't stop, its very interesting. I check it for update every day. I asked about the engine as it has an exhauster fitted, I was just interested in if it had been built with vac over hydraulic brakes.

Doug, you are doing a great job on an interesting and rare vehicle, keep it up and we all want as many photos as possible.

No PLESAE don't stop, its very interesting. I check it for update every day. I asked about the engine as it has an exhauster fitted, I was just interested in if it had been built with vac over hydraulic brakes.

Doug, you are doing a great job on an interesting and rare vehicle, keep it up and we all want as many photos as possible.

I would concur with this, please keep the photographs coming as this vehicle is of real interest to me as it combines two areas which I like - showmen and military vehicles.

Scott

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113671[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]113670[/ATTACH]

the first photo shows some numbers that are stamped in the armour plate that is down towards the bottom of the drivers outer wing, does anyone know what they mean.. the second photo is of the new escape hatch surround that fits on the roof just behind the cab.

I would concur with this, please keep the photographs coming as this vehicle is of real interest to me as it combines two areas which I like - showmen and military vehicles.

Scott[/QU

well I am pleased that people are whatching this and iam not wasting my time . I will keep the updates and photos coming on the progress. I spent an hour after work tonight at my mates garage pushing rivets out the armour with a punch and hydraulic press. had 1000 psi on some and still needed a touch of heat. but all done now.

• 2 weeks later...

didn't get much time on the lorry this weekend , was to bizzy with the steam engine. sorted out some lose ends got a new top bit welded in the front cab mount , welded in a new frame stay just behind the cab and tried to drill the holes in the new bit of angle that holds the armour plate to the out side of the drivers side wing.i decided this will be better to drill these when most of the wing is refitted. not bad for just a few hours work..

I am pleased that people are watching this and iam not wasting my time

We need a "like" button on the posts so that with a click we can say we appreciate what you are doing, ex military vehicles in showmen's hands have always been some of my favorites, keep the pictures coming :)

We need a "like" button on the posts so that with a click we can say we appreciate what you are doing, ex military vehicles in showmen's hands have always been some of my favorites, keep the pictures coming :)

i agree with the like button like facebook .thanks for the kind comments . I we keep the photos comming as work progresses.a bit slower for the next few months as its rally season for the steam engine .

I would hit the 'like' button! I'm new to the forum but following your restoration. Looking at some of the rot you repair is superb. Keep it going but after your steam :)

well thanks . it helps being a steel fabricator and coded welder. a mate is going to rewire it and another mate has offered to sort the wood bits out. over xmas I did some welding on a steam engine and in return they are supplying the ash for the cab . there is a bit of favour for a favour going on here . there is yet another mate who has offered to help with the riveting aswell.

Mates helping mates is ideal as it also increases knowledge and experience. That's what I've seen throughout this forum, no shortage of advice and guidance. And practical help as well. Looking at your progress it all works :laugh:

not doing long melford again . one of the organisers had a dig at me for turning the model steam wagon around , saying you can not move so stuff them we will go somewhere else.. I will get my wife to put one on with the matador .we are going to tinkers park with the foden wagon