matador restoration.

doug fleet

As you can see I have been bizzy lately . got a lot of the back axle on the drivers side cleaned up ready for primer. cleaning the bit between the drum back plate and spring was difficault   but we got there. the box was sunk into the floor at the back , don't know what it was used for . its very rusty so a new one has to be made which isn't a problem . its good to see the convoy light still there or whats left of it . a new one will be refitted . I cant seem to free the brake drum off so going to give it a little heat .

5 minutes ago, rog8811 said:

(one of my favourite threads)9_9  Looking very solid all round...well other than the box.... good to see it coming on.

thank you . we are bizzy over the summer months so it a winter thing . we had a good winter last year got loads done so hopeing to get lots done this winter .

the box was sunk into the floor at the back , don't know what it was used for . its very rusty so a new one has to be made which isn't a problem .

Doug, looking good. there was a box set into the floor in the rear compartment of the LP version for the storage of spare batteries, it was imediately to the rear of the back axle, not sure where yours is but it may help to define what version of ACV it was originally.

1 hour ago, armouredfarmer said:

the box was sunk into the floor at the back , don't know what it was used for . its very rusty so a new one has to be made which isn't a problem .

Doug, looking good. there was a box set into the floor in the rear compartment of the LP version for the storage of spare batteries, it was imediately to the rear of the back axle, not sure where yours is but it may help to define what version of ACV it was originally.

hiya  yes the box was right behind the rear of the back axle . so it looks like it was a lp version . I take it the others didn't have this box .

I've signed up to the forum especially to say how much I have enjoyed this thread so far, and hope to see more in the future. For a number of years I have wanted to have an AEC Matador and work on it (finally, I'm in a position to start saving up!) so this is both inspiration and a source of useful pictures of the  details of the work, It makes me tired just thinking about all those hours with the wire brush on the angle grinder that much have gone into this.

Hope you're having an excellent weekend filled with Matador goodness.      

Edited by Negative
typo

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, Negative said:

I've signed up to the forum especially to say how much I have enjoyed this thread so far, and hope to see more in the future. For a number of years I have wanted to have an AEC Matador and work on it (finally, I'm in a position to start saving up!) so this is both inspiration and a source of useful pictures of the  details of the work, It makes me tired just thinking about all those hours with the wire brush on the angle grinder that much have gone into this.

Hope you're having an excellent weekend filled with Matador goodness.      

I have been queit surprised about the intrest this has got . yes I know there is not many of this type about and evern fewer in private hands . this one is going to be restored back how it was on the fairground where it spent most of its life . in a long time from now we may possably put it back to full speck but in many years .  so far I have scrapped off about 75kgs of mud . grease and hardened oil which has kept it in good condition .I have repainted it as it was under all the muck . I have not only used a wire brush on a grinder but beleave it or not a needle file and a very small screw driver which I use to get into all the small bits . takes a while to do but I think its worth it .I didn't get anything done last weekend and don't think I will get much done this weekend . I picked up new old wood for the back as I have got to take some out to repaire a small bit in the chassie rail  where the floor box was fitted .

13 minutes ago, doug fleet said:

I have been queit surprised about the intrest this has got . yes I know there is not many of this type about and evern fewer in private hands . this one is going to be restored back how it was on the fairground where it spent most of its life . in a long time from now we may possably put it back to full speck but in many years .  so far I have scrapped off about 75kgs of mud . grease and hardened oil which has kept it in good condition .I have repainted it as it was under all the muck . I have not only used a wire brush on a grinder but beleave it or not a needle file and a very small screw driver which I use to get into all the small bits . takes a while to do but I think its worth it .I didn't get anything done last weekend and don't think I will get much done this weekend . I picked up new old wood for the back as I have got to take some out to repaire a small bit in the chassie rail  where the floor box was fitted .

It's a fantastic job. If it was me doing it, I'd be having a look inside the mechanism a  bit more. I'd like to see inside the hubs and diffs. I bet there are some very handsome gears in there. 

the reason I haven't taken all the axles and running gear apart is simple . it runs and drives and I can get every gear in hi range and low range and evern the air brakes all move  as the air starts to come up . all the air tank drain plugs were taken out so couldn't get much pressure  but enough to make the brake chambers move so didn't rearly see the point . the oil will be drained and replaced

22 minutes ago, doug fleet said:

the reason I haven't taken all the axles and running gear apart is simple . it runs and drives and I can get every gear in hi range and low range and evern the air brakes all move  as the air starts to come up . all the air tank drain plugs were taken out so couldn't get much pressure  but enough to make the brake chambers move so didn't rearly see the point . the oil will be drained and replaced

Yes, I see what you mean. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I must admit curiosity would get the better of me though.   

Didn't have much time on it this weekend. but managed to get the drivers side back in red oxide primer. still cant get the brake drum off but will try a little heat . Probably been on there since 1942 . I don't suppose it has ever been taken off.next step is to get the diff all cleaned up and primed . this week I have picked up a load of used wood that should be enough to replace it all in the back. in order to replace a bit of chassie I have to take some of the wood out the back . as some of it isn't all that iam going to replace it all .

P1080422.JPG

P1080423.JPG

P1080424.JPG

P1080425.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had a good day today . got underneath the rear wing cleaned up and 2 coats of primer on it . I didn't clean up the plate across the back as I have got to take that off to replace some angle that rivets the back to the sides. started to clean up the off side on the out side . you can see some of the olive drab paint still on there. you can also see there were lots of bits welded on the side in its army life . don't know what they were for .found the rear tyre pressure written on the side so got a photo before I cleaned it off .so got some of it primed up on the out side . I now need to cover the front of the other matador to protect it from the grinding sparks before I carry on down he side .