GMC knocking noise - HELP.

Jack

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I crawled underneath and all oil levels are perfect. One thing that had 2-3mm play in it was the front prop UJ at both ends - if your opinion could this be the cause or is a 2-3mm tolerance acceptable?

Best wishes.

Jack.

There should be no play in the UJs or the drive flanges. This could be the cause of a knocking noise. Transmission noise is sometimes only present either when under load or when decelerating. This can be confirmed by removing the front prop shaft and going for a drive, but i wouldn't advise that until you are sure that the problem is not the engine. It is not difficult to rebuild propshafts. You can also have it balanced while it is off.

Marks WLF had a really bad vibration (as did Mikes) and removing the front propshaft cured this. This should not be a problem as long as you are not planning on going off roading- mind you that would get youir nice pink paint job dirty so why would you.... :whistle:

Ok folks.

The Dr and his nurse assistant arrived last night (NHS no longer do 'home visits' but this was a matter of life or death) with his Gladstone bag (tool box).

After poking thermometers and needles in various places whilst his assistant (Mrs HF) mopped his brow, he started to operate. He started by disconnecting some lead things that go to the 'spark plugs'?......so I am told they are actually plugs that spark - learn something new everyday. Anyway it turns out that on tick over it was only firing on 5 cylinders......I tried to explain to the Dr that this wasn't a problem as it would save fuel as it was only using fuel for 5 cylinders and not six - judging by the expression on his face, I would say that this concept was new to him and he said something about an idiot, I think he was referring to my dog.

So the engine now running on 6 cylinders, a new nut put on to the alternator pulley. After the Dr crawled underneath and pushed and poked a few things i.e. the prop shafts the conclusion was that he front prop UJ was worn and as we took it up the road you could hear the knocking that got louder when you put it under load. We were going up through Milton Abbas with the nurse and Jack Jr and the 'idiot' dog in the back. Now picture this, me, a grown up mature man, well respected in my community, well known for being highly responsible and driving up through Milton Abbas which is very middle class and well to do. Then picture an ex para wearing black overalls hanging off the outside of the gun ring practically standing on the wing, dodging cars as they are coming head on shouting ' ITS BANGING MORE THAN A GROOM ON HIS WEDDING NIGHT' ..........it was like a scene out of Mad Max.

We stopped and decided to take the front prop off - I had to do this and wasn't best pleased as I am not sure if you know but it is all dirty and oily under there. Anyway, front prop was taken off and bingo - noise gone, job done. We turned the GMC around went back home, again, driving back done Milton Abbas still with an ex para in blacks overalls hanging off the gun ring now shouting 'IT'S SWEET, SORTED, LOVELY JUBLY'.

So the conclusion is that it was the front prop UJ's that were worn and have a bit of wear in the others to and these will have to be replaced in the near future. The exhaust is blowing in various places and this leads to all sorts of 'strange' noises........

The evening was concluded with fish and chips and wine.

Thanks go to Jerry and Sue for their help, very much appreciated folks.

Best wishes.

Jack.

Woohoo :banana: :yay: :banana: :yay: :banana: :yay: :banana: :yay: :banana: :dancinggirls: :yay: :banana: :dancinggirls: :yay: :banana: :dancinggirls: :yay: :banana: :dancinggirls: :dancinggirls: :yay: :banana:

not fussed... can y'tell?

Glad you have sorted out the truck only 6x4 so not a real GMC, lets hope it does not rain or I might have to tow you :whistle:

Good news Jack, just spoken to the lowloader and we need to be at his yard on Thurs morning at 8.00 am yes 8.00 am in the morning did you here me I said 8.00 am in the morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That far to early, but there you go beggers cant be choosers...

So jack you'll be leaving Tues lunchtime?? :whistle:

What I enjoyed was having an interested and intelligent appentice helping me....

Jesse, is doing well

Shame about the Gopher, fish and chips were awesome and the company of the ladies most pleasant :-D

I really want to see Jack in pyjama's with teddy, racing to Southampton looking at his watch ' Not bad I'm only an hour late' whilst waving his gay liberation front cushion in time to the exhaust beat :whistle:

Possibly humming 'All the nice boys like a sailor' ?

Hardyferret... mechanical maestro :whistle: :-D