what starter and solenoid are these?

Markwise

Question

11 answers to this question

In the 1967 Lucas CAV catalogue, the starter fitted to a 220 cu in Bedford engine is also the same for the 330 ci diesel, it is a CAV CA45D12-51 part number 1320513. The solenoid is part no.6211-39.

Your starter is a Lucas M45G type with external solenoid, these solenoids can pack in so that could be the problem. If you need to change the whole starter, then you have the option of the CAV or Lucas starter as I am sure the flange and pinion would be same dimensions.

You can confirm the numbers on your starter and solenoid when you remove it as they should be stamped on them. 12 volt of course.

Edited by Richard Farrant
should have gone to Specsavers

Richard, I'm working from memory but isn't the CA45 the 'barrel' type starter with the solenoid in line with the main body of the starter and the terminals at the mounting flange end?

The starter pictured does look like an M45G and I've come across both types on 200 / 220 / 300 / 330 - in fact, I have a 220 Turbo with an M45G on at the workshop.

Both Richard and fv102 speak wisdom, though, the numbers will be stamped on the body when you remove it. You should be able to buy a replacement solenoid fairly easily, and get the starter rebuilt if needs be (probably cheaper than buying new). If there's no-one local there are sources online.

Edited by Sean N

Richard, I'm working from memory but isn't the CA45 the 'barrel' type starter with the solenoid in line with the main body of the starter and the terminals at the mounting flange end?

The starter pictured does look like an M45G and I've come across both types on 200 / 220 / 300 / 330 - in fact, I have a 220 Turbo with an M45G on at the workshop.

Both Richard and fv102 speak wisdom, though, the numbers will be stamped on the body when you remove it. You should be able to buy a replacement solenoid fairly easily, and get the starter rebuilt if needs be (probably cheaper than buying new). If there's no-one local there are sources online.

Thanks Sean, you are correct, I was leafing through the 1967 Lucas catalogue and did not pay attention on the numbers, modified my post now, so there is an alternative starter if needed.

Mark,

I would be very wary of buying a starter just because it is advertised as a M45G. That is just the type, there are variations, especially in the drive end, pinion diameter, number of teeth, depth into bell housing, left side or right side mounting. You need to get the number off the main body of the starter to know. As it is a common Bedford diesel engine, 220 and 330 are the same it seems, they were fitted in 12 volt TJ and TK. It should not be hard to find one, otherwise get yours checked and overhauled, it might only be a faulty solenoid.