A frame for towing.

.303fan

Question

9 answers to this question

Your profile doesn't say where you live so here goes.

I have made a number of A frames with lunettes (the round ring portion) that mate to the NATO pintle.

Over here in Canada we can buy them as a bought in part and weld them into the item as I did in this one.

Good luck with your project.

Robin

A-frame parts 2.jpg

BV A-frame 9.jpg

These (the item Robin has shown above) are available in a couple of sizes and bar lengths from agricultural dealers / engineers as replacement eyes for trailer draw bars. One is a good match for military hitches.

I've also used rings from lifting equipment suppliers, slightly smaller diameter section for the same hole diameter.

Came across an interesting issue last week - I replaced the towing jaw on the rear of a loading shovel with a pintle hook from a WW2 AEC Matador - only to find that some postwar U.S. towing eyes are a very tight fit. :rolleyes:

Edited by N.O.S.

303fan,

Just be aware that anything towed that weighs over 750 kgs needs to have brakes fitted that apply themselves (over-run brakes, etc). As I understand it, people such as AA and RAC patrolman have dispensation for limited use/limited distance. I have seen photos of WW2 jeeps that have been modified so that their brakes do come on with the towing vehicle's brakes.

I know this wasn't your original question, but just wanted to make sure you knew and didnt get yourself into a spot of bother!

Edited by G506

A sliding construction like a sankey has, and a brake cylinder plumbed in to give brake capacity. I do plan to stay legal and tow my lightweight from storage in holland to my home in lincs. The dutch army used the points i plan to use as lifting and towing eyes. Does anyone got a sankey parts place?

if it can drive, i need to pay my dad fuel money and we go convoy by three and get him as a foot passenger with beer money back to europoort and my brother drives him home. <br><br>my other option is to go back and get it driving slap on a APK and drive to the boat. in the uk get a registration for it and just enjoy it. i need to get engines and gearboxes over aswel. <br><br>the use of a A frame in the UK is not needed after my vehicles are over. if i had a vehicle trailer or a C licence car transporter to shift a lot of goods it would have helped.

It will be almost impossible to tow a Landrover on an A-frame legally in the UK, and the cost and complexity will be such that realistically it is a non-starter. Using a trailer is an option, or pay a haulier to freight it.

There are some relaxations for recovery work but these won't apply in your case, so if you are A-framing you need all the brakes to work at full efficiency, with the servo working. You may still have problems due to the fact you cannot reverse, I am not sure of the legal implications of this aspect.

My vehicle has a non servo system, so a second main cylinder would brake as normal.

Still the cost is steep to get a system working.

I rather buy a 3ton capacity vehicle trailer or get stuff running and fly over and drive back. Vehicle transporters asked a fortune and damaged my vehicle by 1000 pounds.