German Morris?

Chappers

Hi Chappers,

yes it is, maybe a C4 or CS8? Not sure. Many British vehicles were abandoned following the evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940, some in such great numbers that the Germans did standard modifications and even assigned them their own 'kfz' number, effectively giving them a new identity, albeit for the other side! Im no expert on this subject, and currently Im stuck 2000 miles from all my MV reference books, but I know a man who knows all about these captured Brit vehicles...........

Yes it is an early one as G506 said, more than likely from Dunkirk. There are plenty examples of this, a common modification was to put a new windscreen surround on as this one. Instead of the lift up flap they replaced it with one that completely folded down. Probably a good bit of design as even with the lift up flaps on the allied ones it still got bloody hot in the cab!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this thread ( quiet spell at work!), I have been looking at this, and agree that, yes, the germans did designate them with a KFz number. The Morris was a popular choice for a personnel body carrier conversion, or, "umbauwagen". So much so, that they had a standard body which fitted on the back.

width=640 height=455http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/scan222.jpg[/img]

Acknowledgements to another website this photo and info came from!

It would be a brave soul who would operate one on the MV scene in German style, given the paucity. Mind you, if someone were to convert an old garage recovery motor back to MV standard it would be an interesting project. Trying to think how many of them I've seen, though!.........

There was a Bedford in German Afrika Corps camo at Beltring a few years back - looked very good.

True, think it was an OX,.............brave choice seeing as there so few of that particular bedford in preservation, even in allied markings.............

True, think it was an OX,.............brave choice seeing as there so few of that particular bedford in preservation, even in allied markings.............

That OXD belonged to a friend, it was then sold to a member of the Long Range Desert Group living history display. We were told that there was photographic evidence of a British Army OXD being painted and marked as a captured German vehicle, for use on one of the LRDG missions. So, it is not actually shown as a captured vehicle....as such! :|

There is a conundrum! Ican see why it may offend some people to restore some vehicles as captured vehicles, but surely it is a historical point of view that this happened, especially after a major event like Dunkirk. Or am I missing the point? :?

On the whole, I think it provides a talking point, re the fact that vehicles did get used 'under new management', during the war period.............there's enough documented evidence to support such case's.

((also, there is the fact that as an owner of such vehicle, they have the right to do what they will, with it. :whistle:))

1st time I saw OX must admit, it stoped me in my tracks,............firstly because it was an OX, then because of its depiction as afrika korps.

(cheers for the info re LRDG, mate)

Certainly wasn't 'annoyed', or owt......was interested and found it interesting,; :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The German's used any equipment they could get, by fair means or foul . I have many photos taken in jersey during the Occupation and after of British vehicles and French tanks in german service. Most of the Artillery on the western Wall was French, chezh, and even Russian battleships guns. My old doctor had a 1938 Packard before the Occupation. It ended up he belived in France as General's staff car.

Hi,

some where or another there is a picture of Germans using U.S. vehicles in the African campaign, to include jeeps trucks and half track vehicles i will have to try and find it.

Ashley

You want pictures start at http://thisisjersey.com/hmd/ http://www.ciosjersey.org.uk You can also go the Gurnersey site but take a carrot and say 'Hello E Aw' they will know what you mean. Crapuad's rule :angel:

Cheers for this link,..from the (very quick)visit just made, looks extremely informative, and I will revisit soon............

Hi LE, I hope you do go back. The photos on the site may seem poor at time, but bear in mind they were taken at risk of imprisonment or death.

About 30 Jersey civillians were taken to concentration camps, at least a dozen never returned. There crimes? Listening to the BBC on the radio and spreading the 'Lies' they heard. If Jersey people like me, known proudly as Crapaud's (Toads) are a bolshie bunch if you try to lean on us, now you know why. :-D

Hi LE, I hope you do go back. The photos on the site may seem poor at time, but bear in mind they were taken at risk of imprisonment or death.

About 30 Jersey civillians were taken to concentration camps, at least a dozen never returned. There crimes? Listening to the BBC on the radio and spreading the 'Lies' they heard. If Jersey people like me, known proudly as Crapaud's (Toads) are a bolshie bunch if you try to lean on us, now you know why. :-D

I'm guessing that they've earned that right. :-)

(to be proud of there being Jersey folk,....I mean)

We on the mainland, when 'celebrating', the freedon won for us, by those who fought, both in overseas locations and on the homefront, possibly forget that the channel islands had a far different war, to us.

All the best,

Andy

My grandad was a REME mechanic who served with the LRDG in the dessert during WW11, and he used whatever equipment he could get his hands on.

When he came back to england for the D day landings he was arrested at liverpool street station because he had his rifle with him and looked so scruffy the police thought he was a tramp and had nicked the rifle!. He was wearing a british issue shirt with no sleeves, italian officer trousers that had been cut down to make shorts and german boots!.

He was also given permission to wear two cap badges by the LRDG, one was the LRDG cap badge and the other was his REME cap badge. My dad has them on his sun hat and can be seen at most shows with the badges.

Hi Rambo,

anorigonal LRDG badge is much sort after in the collecting world, most 99% seen are fakesso make sure it doesn`t walk one day :shake:but i bet that 99.9 % of the badge collecting world have not seen an original and may not recognise it as such. But be warned for with out care one day it will disappear :schocked:

Ashley