Chilwell WD numbers lists - where to find ?

modello

Question

Dear colleagues !

Possibly, somebody knows, where to find/to buy the copy of well-known Chilwell's WD numbers lists (number census) for British wheeled military vehicles of pre-WW2 and WW2 era ?

I shall pleased to get any advices.

17 answers to this question

I have Rob van Meel's 1944 copy of this list, this runs as high as W.D. number L 6277385.

Now, I am looking for W.D. numbers allotted to a contract in 1945, so they are likey are not included in the listings up to 1944.

Who has a later census listing for "B" vehicle W.D. numbers ranging around the Z 6285436 - Z 6285600 mark?

Thanks in advance!

42 minutes ago, Pete Ashby said:

I think  you will need  edition No4  Hanno if it exists,  my copy is edition No3 and has the same upper range limit ie L6277385

Pete

The Edition number only relates to Rob van Meel's copy. I bought Edition No.1 when it first came out and it still ends at L6277385. The different edition is where he has updated errors or added more information on the entries. I also have the list in groups of manufacturers. There would have been a document with a continuing list right up to around 1949 when the census number system changed. Maybe Wally can help here?

Richard

There is a list of amendment  to the chilwell B vehicle list of 1944 numbered pages 1-5

which brought the list up to date for the period up to 1944 filling in the numbers listed

as not taken up.

Also another chilwell B vehicle list for the period 1945-1949 for vehicle bought after

ww2 ended these still carried the old type census  numbers until 1949

there was a copy in the old MOD library 

1 hour ago, wally dugan said:

There is a list of amendment  to the chilwell B vehicle list of 1944 numbered pages 1-5

which brought the list up to date for the period up to 1944 filling in the numbers listed

as not taken up.

Also another chilwell B vehicle list for the period 1945-1949 for vehicle bought after

ww2 ended these still carried the old type census  numbers until 1949

there was a copy in the old MOD library 

Hi Wally,

It would be good if these two documents could be made available, especially the amendments for up to 1944.

regards, Richard

16 minutes ago, 79x100 said:

I have an Excel file (I'm not sure of the origins) and it includes some info up to 6288025 (A Wyles Mobile Steam Cooler' ?) Also some Volkswagens and Land-Rovers mentioned so clearly post-war. I have an idea that it was once on-line somewhere.

That file would be interesting to a number of people  could you post it here perhaps ? with the usual disclaimer about unknown source

Pete

35 minutes ago, 79x100 said:

I have an Excel file (I'm not sure of the origins) and it includes some info up to 6288025 (A Wyles Mobile Steam Cooler' ?) Also some Volkswagens and Land-Rovers mentioned so clearly post-war. I have an idea that it was once on-line somewhere.

That would be a Wiles mobile steam cooker I would think. An Australian built mobile field kitchen, maybe one was obtained for trials or brought on to strength by the British army in the Far East.

I too would like to see that list.

Richard

8 hours ago, Pete Ashby said:

I think  you will need  edition No4  Hanno if it exists,  my copy is edition No3 and has the same upper range limit ie L6277385

Pete

Hi

As said above the edition only relates to Rob Vanmeel's book

His latest "edition" is No.5 and this also only lists up to L6277385

Information on numbers above this would be very useful to many people. Also any information on how the wartime (16xxxxx) rebuild numbers were allocated would be useful.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by 64EK26
typo

All, thanks for the replies!

3 hours ago, 79x100 said:

That file would indeed be very interesting to see!

6288025 is higher than the range I posted, are there any chances of finding anything in the 6285436 - 6285600 range in that file?

Having loan my copy of the Chilwell list never again to see it a friend lent me one dated 23-November-1944 to copy. Being printed on foolscap it didn’t fit my A-4 scanner with my friend wanting it back I reluctantly made a digital copy for my own use. The edition I copied contained a number of handwritten corrections and additions with possibly census number 6251282 halfway down a page being the last entry for the list up to 23 November 1944 and those past that number being on a new sheet including VW’s for the British possibly to the end of 46 – just a thought