Bovril

Bob Grundy

Question

I am cleaning out a Ferret petrol tank that has the residue of 20 years of old petrol in it. The stuff that is left and in the pipes is like hard Bovril. Has anyone an idea as to what I should use to remove this coating ? Could it be the lead that what was added in days gone by ?

Thank you

Bob

11 answers to this question

I don't drink the stuff, will any type do the job ? Is the coke from say Lidle OK ?

It's the sugar/malasses content that actually does the stripping. You can buy the molasses itself and water it down or heat it to make it more runny and than slop it about. Silly question , but how big is the tank? Could it be taken out and sealed in a large plastic bag? Then you can fill it with degreases and shake it about. Sounds like it will take some time to soack.

BOB we encountered the same problem in a ferret that had been in storage with fuel left in the system for a number of years we found the only sure way was to remove the whole fuel system and tank and after a number of failed attempts

using a few methods we found that steam worked best got to add that we had a ready supply next door at the local chemical works

I have made a purchase of 3 litres of that o'ribble Coke drink from Tesco and will use that tomorrow, then after a few days use the steamer cleaner. The tank is out of the Ferret as well as the pipes, now clear with wire pocked down them.

Thanks all for the info, I will report back later on the undoubted success that it will be.....

I have made a purchase of 3 litres of that o'ribble Coke drink from Tesco and will use that tomorrow, then after a few days use the steamer cleaner. The tank is out of the Ferret as well as the pipes, now clear with wire pocked down them.

Thanks all for the info, I will report back later on the undoubted success that it will be.....

Well that will put them back in profit then!