Best way to patch a fuel tank?

BRDM Driver

I've used Petro patch many times over the years. It consists of a cloth which you impregnate with a grey goo. Never had a failure with it. I've used aluminium mesh or a wrapped it around a selftap screw for larger holes. Then add a second layer over the screw head.

Well I just tumbled my tank with a load of M16 bolts!

tankrust.jpg

There's a lot of rust in there...

I then found a total of three holes!

I fixed them by opening them up with a centre punch to create a bit of material to cut a thread into.

tankpatch2.jpg

Then screwed in an M5 copper plated screw.

tankpatch3.jpg

Soldered it with some plumbers flux and an ordinary electronics iron (I didn't think this would work but it worked really well!)

tankpatch4.jpg

Pretty sure that this tank is on the way out so I'll look at replacing it with a much smaller plastic tank. Maybe something I can take out easily... I was looking at a boat fuel tank but I think these are illegal to use in road vehicles.

I may go for a small alloy racing tank.

Try a fuel tank from a Land Rover Discovery. There plastic with a decent capacity.

That's a great idea! They are square tanks, just like the BRDM tank and I get an electric fuel pump too!

The mechanical fuel pump is another weak point on BRDM.

Not sure about adapting the fuel fittings though.

Disco tanks appear to be around £70 on ebay.

That's a great idea! They are square tanks, just like the BRDM tank and I get an electric fuel pump too!

The mechanical fuel pump is another weak point on BRDM.

Not sure about adapting the fuel fittings though.

Disco tanks appear to be around £70 on ebay.

Or cheaper if you get a take out one. 200 and 300 Discos rot around the back floor so not a difficult job!

Other owners have araldited a penny over the hole and that's worked equally well apparently for years!

As for soldering or welding a tank I'm not sure that's a good idea if it still has traces of fuel in it- you would need to wash the tank out a few times to make sure no vapours are present.

yes you certainly need to wash it out, I recommend using a good strong soapy solution first then wash it with clean water and finally allow it to dry using a hair dryer....will clear it out completely...and make its safe, your nose is not a bad way to check for fumes...also rolling a chain in the tank when your doing the washing will help remove any fuel impregnated rust spots, which can remain if your not careful...

Other owners have araldited a penny over the hole and that's worked equally well apparently for years!

As for soldering or welding a tank I'm not sure that's a good idea if it still has traces of fuel in it- you would need to wash the tank out a few times to make sure no vapours are present.

After my father in law died a couple of years ago, I learned that he had been instrumental in getting the Fairey Delta 2 to the start of her legendary record-breaking flight, having been up all night at Boscombe Down sloshing epoxy resin about to seal leaks in the fuel tanks. Sadly this is all I know, and 60 years on I doubt I'll ever know any more.