Do Original Drawings/Blueprints Exist For The Jeep?

orton1966

Ok, so just got a Jeep MB and now, I guess the work starts!

Chassis wise, it's mainly ok but the front horns have been really poorly repaired. Now my question:

Are there any official manufacturing drawing available for the chassis, I've seen some dimensions diagrams on line but nothing like what would be used to manufacture, something like this, in the first place?

I know I can reverse engineer from what's there and use the dimension online for spring placement or use available repair sections but it be reassuring to compare and/or work from original drawings.

Given how obsessive defence department are with paperwork, I'm sure they must have surfaced and been scanned by someone, better still would be if someone had converted them to cad!

Interesting but not quite an MB

Next best, does anyone currently have their body tub off?

if so, I'd really appreciate visiting and having a good look and take photos measurements. I'm just hoping to get my head around any possible problem areas before I strip mine. Plus establishing some datums and key measurements, should I need to replace any sections.

I'm midlands based!

I'm not sure why you need drawings for the complete chassis, but maybe it's an option to get a donor chassis (or sections thereof) for repairs? I do know the front horns up to the front crossmember are being reproduced.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not sure why you need drawings for the complete chassis, but maybe it's an option to get a donor chassis (or sections thereof) for repairs? I do know the front horns up to the front crossmember are being reproduced.

Sorry for the relaid, reply/bump to this thread, just been busy with non vehicle stuff!

Anyway, it's more a want, than a need. With correct drawings I could make any repair sections I needed plus ensure correct alignment when fitting front frame horns etc. yes it is possible to reverse engineer from existing metal but this always has 70 years of use/abuse so won't be as accurate as original drawings plus engineering drawing make re-drawing into cad easy which opens the world of laser cutting, rather than templateing , when cutting metal, again aiding accuracy and repeatability.

Given the vehicles history, I still can't believe there's not some proper blue prints out there somewhere!

There are from modern methods (BUT to be paid for) :-

http://www.dirdim.com/port_featuredprojects.php?fileName=fp_jeepframereproduction

There will be blueprints out their from earlier sources , such as the original manufacturers in USA , Hotchkiss Drawings will also have filtered out - BUT again it would cost you .

What is wrong with a steel tape , steel ruler , vernier and traditional lofting from your own chassis ? The only problem being - where exactly are your main "true-lengths" within the manufacturing drawing tolerance and that would only be a must (for accurate reproductions) if you were batch manufacturing components and for a full frame jig welding fixture / trunion.

The same is applicable to the Bantam chassis scanning , high in BS ,,

Given the vehicles history, I still can't believe there's not some proper blue prints out there somewhere!

I suggest you ask that question on the G503 forum there are guys there who will give you chapter and verse on what is and what is not available from the archives.

The short answer is that Willys moved onto to post war production then to all intense and purpose ceased to exist via a number of buy outs/intellectual property transfers. I can tell you from experience that when this happens vast amounts of hard copy archive material just get dumped. It's worth remembering that in the intermediate post war period the MB and GPW had by no means reached 'iconinc' status and as such any material that has survived it is purely by luck as at the time the print chest containing that information would be viewed as just so much waste paper...sad but true.... been there done it in another life. :-(

Pete