WW1 bus on London to Brighton run

I thought the LGOC looked rather nice. Won the prize this year as best military pushing the Pierce Arrow into 2nd place. I note that despite my best efforts of keeping out of everyone's way that you managed to get a photo of me in the background of one of the images. Wont tell you which one though. Think of it more as a game of "Where's Wally" but without the striped shirt and the hat.

The Grundons had put a lovely 13pdr in the back of their Pierce Arrow. I had not seen a photo of a Pierce Arrow gun lorry before. Does anyone have one?

Thanks

Tim

Good to see that the 'B' type made it to Brighton successfully and won first prize in the military class. It was of course restored in our workshop on behalf of London Transport Museum and proved to be a considerable challenge with only 12 months to complete a total rebuild , the engine , gearbox and back axle had previously been sourced in Australia ,a survivor of some 40 chassis shipped reconditioned second hand in 1921/2. The lower saloon of the original body had survived on the chassis on an Essex small holding and with evidence of its serial number still visible on the chassis frame it enabled us to positively identify the actual vehicle. We managed to complete in 10 months, first finished as a service bus of the summer of 1914 and then last September , almost 100 years ago to the day we re-finished it into the troop carrying khaki as now seen. The bus has since successfully completed a tour of Belgium and France as well as attending numerous events here.

The 'Grundon' Pierce-Arrow was also many years ago mostly rebuilt in our workshop , It was bought by the family as an 80th birthday present for Mr. Steve Grundon whose father had started the company after WW1 with war surplus Peerless and Pierce-Arrow lorries bought from the Slough dump. It had survived near Arles in France along with a Riker/Locomobile ( I do not know what happen to that ) and had started life with the French army. It is good to see that some 20 years on the family still take an interest in the lorry and the run. I do not know anything about the new addition in the back !.

Richard Peskett.

I note that despite my best efforts of keeping out of everyone's way that you managed to get a photo of me in the background of one of the images. Wont tell you which one though. Think of it more as a game of "Where's Wally" but without the striped shirt and the hat.

Tim

In front of Mighty Atoms trailer?

• 2 weeks later...