CVR(T) Samson variations

robin craig

It would seem that there were a few minor variations in the production of Samsons from what I can tell.

The main one I have noticed is that some, mostly Belgian ones, do not have a lug on the right spade.

What the purpose of the lug is I am not sure, at first I thought it was to raise the spade but that forces the cable to turn a sharp corner and possibly kink.

Now I am thinking it is only a stowage point for the end of the winch cable.

Can anyone speak to this subject please?

Robin

Is it for connecting the free end of the winch cable (or a pulley block) when winching with a 2 or 3 to one pull ? That way the force goes into the spade without going via the hull so less strain on the hinges and less tendency to lift the front of the vehicle.

David

As far as I can tell the lug on the RHS of the spade is just for stowing the fair lead. The hole in the lug is exactly the right side for the pin in the end coupling. Also the offset ensures it is out of the way of the dwarf sized opening the crew are supposed to climb in & out of the vehicle from.

If it were for attaching pulleys or the end of the fair lead too when winching, would it not be on the other side of the spade, as when the spade hinges down the lug is then on the opposite side of the spade to whatever you are winching

I'll take a piccy of mine when I get a moment & post it

I think it must as you say have been for stowage only, I am thinking that the UK saw the light and improved theirs and the Belgians were just stubborn!

Guykay we really must chat some more again about the winch. There is such little info out there on how it works and best practices.

Last time I was down to see the Samson I was hoping to get a look see at the system but the vehicle was not running and we had lots to do so things are still on hiatus.

It would be wonderful if someone had time to shoot some footage and put in online but that is too much to ask.

Regards

Robin

Have you seen this one Robin ? Something went wrong...

The photo below should clarify things hopefully.

I will try to shoot a vid of the next time we use Sammy for winching something.

You can see how the end of the fair lead mounts on the lug and clears the access hatch. It is good practice to mount the fair lead end on the lug when rewinding after a winching operation, as this prevents the block traveling over the pulley and damaging the shroud. You will note the shroud is missing from the pulley on my Sammy and draw

your own conclusions about how I discovered this!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for posting that video, I think that same machine pulls a Bedford out in another video.

Had not seen that one.

No lug on the spade.

I suspect the loader is hydrostatic drive hence the snow plowing job up the hill until chum gets in and opens the direction valve and it free wheels.

Yes I would love you to do a "muppets winch instruction" video for numpties like me to follow.

Brilliant

R