Bedford RL REME workshop

Wouldn't the generator be mounted on a separate trailer?

The old Machinery wagon that we used to have in our RE Squadron used to have a big towed generator set.

1982-85, 12 Armd Wksp, Osnabruck, used a Machy Wagon exactly like this as the MRG Radio Truck. Eventually, fed up of being awoken from my precious sleep every night on ex, the former RAC Control Signaller, now pay clerk, told them I'd do permanent nights on exercise, 1800-0600, I'd do the codes myself at midnight (Zulu: everything was done on Zulu time on ex), I'd change the MRG's frequencies on the local defence net and the HF Divisional Logistics Net, I'd change the dipole to match the new frequency and I'd change the Batco and Slidex boards to the next day's codes.

After changing the HF, I'd call up Division than tap my foot waiting for them to get back to me. Of course the Log Net wasn't a priority to them, but it was to me: the REME never seemed to manage to reestablish comma after a frequency change.

Then I'd sleep all day while others did the mundane work. And I was always served first at the cookhouse truck. Good job.

One day in camp, we knew GOC 1 Armd Div was visiting. There was no mistaking the general's voice in the next room (Orderly Room). Unfortunately at this time I was ripping into a craftsman for yet again having more days in the month than pay to cover it.

General's voice booms from next door, "I recognise that (Sunderland accented) voice."

Head comes round the door, "You're the man who's forever having a go at my signallers on the Log Net for being idle." I was about to apologise when he wasn't on, "Good job. They ARE idle. Crack on"

• 6 years later...

Hi 

I was a REME Fitter/Turner and had 4 Machy Wagons in my 12 years . 
They where powerd by a 10kva three phase generator on a two wheel trailer. Although I one I had had a 27.5 Kva Meadows generators on a four wheel chassis the front two wheels where steering . 
The  Bedford RL was really over loaded with the weight of the body and load , a real pig to drive It had a Colchester Master Buck lathe across the front of the body bulk head , fitted benches along the sides . With a bench mounted valve grinder . As shown on photos on on the left hand side rear was the battery charger , battery charging took outside underneath on of the two penthouse (awning’s) that fitted each side of the wagon, the penthouses were stored in the full width over the cab locker . There was so much equipment including a compressor, welding kit, electrical testing , and loads more. It was two days work to do a full CES ( stock) check. 
I spent twelve years with Machy Wagons  If I can be of any help please ask 

Frank BZ