Hello from Tubby Binns

Tubby Binns

Hello there...

I acquired my first MV in April of this year... A 1943 Bedford MWD...

I am very much the notice and I hope to be able to get some help and guidance on this forum which was recommended by a friend...

I use the MW primarily for British WW2 Living History... So I do not intend to keep it 'pristine' as I like it to look 'lived in'. This does not mean I'm neglecting it, though... It's just a little 'dusty'

Regards,

Pete

• 5 weeks later...

Hello there... Thanks for the warm welcome... Sorry for the delayed response... I'll post some pictures up of 'Bessie' as soon as I can figure out how to attach them... I'm not sure if my permissions wil allow pictures at the moment...

I am hoping I have managed to post some up... See attached...

She's a pretty much standard 1943 GS MWD... I'm just collecting all the bits and bobs for her inventory at the moment... Like a jack and handles, tow chains, hooks and shackles, Spanners, tool kits and such the like...

Both her fuel tanks are working although the nearside could probably do with a clean out and internal reseal... She needs a new set of half shaft hub seals... Got those just waiting for an opportunity to fit them. The timing needs a bit of tinkering as well... Got a list of fiddly jobs to do.

She's got fold away indicators on the front... And I'm going to see if I can make her back lights and indicators fold away also... And re-instal the 'original' lighting at the rear...

shes a a good runner and did Normandy for 5 days this year really earning her keep as one of our 3 tonners broke down...

She also did a 360 mile round trip to the Victory show...

Regards,

TB

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

hi welcome i remember looking at your truck at the victory show and comparing notes regarding the cab tool layout have you by any chance worked out the tool layout behind the passenger seat yet

nicky

Hello Nick - No - I haven't yet... I've sourced all three parts of the Jack handle and I've been scratching my head about what goes where with those three parts and the wheel brace... I seem to have a full set of clips in place but I'm no closer to figuring out what is supposed to go where...

I recall at Victory spending hours greasing her up... Most of the time was spent underneath cleaning numerous layers of paint off the greasing nipples...!

Easy way to cover the rear is to use a trailer board when on the road. That's what I do with the weapons carrier. Yes, maybe not be completly legal, but cyclist use flashing red lights, and I'd rather be tried by tweleve than carried by six.

Sounds like a sensible idea and I know plenty of people who do that... It's just sensible road safety and you could hardly be criticised for it... The original lighting on these things is pretty low grade and no more than a red glow the size of a 5p piece... It's just not worth getting ploughed into at night as you pootle along at 45mph... So a trailer board seems a sensible way to go.

I'd like to have the original lighting but have the rear landy lights able to fold away as the indicators do at the front... Not as simple as it sounds though...