Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown former test pilot on Desert Island Discs

N.O.S.

This morning out on the road I caught an amazing desert Island Discs with Capt. Eric Brown, former naval test pilot and one of those who liberated Belsen Camp during the war.

What an inspiration this man is, well worth a listen: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b04nvgq1

I think it might be repeated on Radio4 Sunday 11 ish.

Thanks for that, I just listened to it, what a man. I saw him deliver a lecture to the Martlesham Aviation Society two or three years ago, an amazing example to us all. Jerry

I had never heard of him until two years ago when he did an interview on radio 4. I did a bit of research be cause his feats sounded unbelievable Just look at the potted history in Wikipedia for a taster. Flying at eight only sunk by a torpedo one of two survivors out of 800+ flying more than 400 types of planes and that don't include different MKs of plane. More take offs and landings on different floating ships than any one else earth. taking the surrender of german airbase 2000 personnel single handed. interviewing german war criminals getting arrested by the SS it goes on and on. He is my hero of all time

I listened to that edition of desert island discs this morning and must say it is one of if not the best interview that has been done. far better than the plastic celebrity types who have achieved 5 mins of fame.

Sure makes me look at the boring life I lead..........

Chris.

I'd never heard of him until this morning! :blush:

Go to bed without supper! :shocked: This man has the World Record for carrier deck landings, over 2000 and flown more than 400 diffent types of aircraft. He said this morning the US didn't like him holding the deck llanding record so appointed a pilot speciffically to beat it, the guy got to about 1600 and had a breackdown.