Daimler ferret conversion

Trevor smith

Question

14 answers to this question

Well,

yes, you can convert anything, but how much do you want to spend. I'm thinking the 7.3 is the Ford Diesel V-8? An Adapter will have to be made to interface with the bell housing, but the big issue will be the fluid flywheel...

The B 60 is still readilly available, so if you need help finding one, please let me know.

If you want to do a 7.3 conversion, thats a different conversation. I would look at other options for power, such as a 4 BT or other smaller diesel, if i was thinking of a mod like this

cheers

nick

Hi, Trevor, I suppose my questions are where are you, and what 7.3 diesel?

I thought the B60 was fairly robust and repairable, what kind of damage does yours have?

trevor

Block is severely cracked along intake side and Florida. A Diesel engine out of a truck

I think that there are lenty of engines around but we in North America do not see them.

The Brits especially will junk stuff that those of us over this of the pond would be so happy to labour over restoring, little do they realise the value of what they have.

The input speed issue is the biggest you will face.

Frankly I would enlist the assistance of a few key people in the UK and get another block found and stick with the orginal.

the expense involved mucking about doing the conversion and the time asted and the loss of value outweigh the benefit of such a venture IMHO.

I have a second Ferret that I am breaking and some parts are available but not the engine

Regards

Robin

I suspect you are referring to an International/Ford IDI motor? If so the speed is much too slow, expect something like 35MPH max. You could rebuild a Isuzu or Cummins 4cyl for higher RPMs but those are really pretty tall engines. You are much better off grabbing something like a Saab 900 gas engine, (very shallow sump and easy 200HP). I'm told folks have used a ford 300CID motor in CVR(T) FWIW.

I feel your pain, or will more acutely pretty soon as I have a pair of vehicles coming to me in California from the UK. I'd offer container space but I'm not sure it's really any cheaper to move one across country than straight from the UK.

good luck,

P_

I have just fixed my willys block with an American system called lock-n-stitch, worked a treat, look up their videos on youtube.Its a new version of cold stitching, and used by Caterpillar etc. Was a bit pricey, but saved my original block.