New tool that will become a new project.

Charlie

Hi all,

Bought a cheap crane as it was time I needed some heavy lifting gear in the yard for a 432 pack lift and to my surprise it's ex MOD :-) . Did the MOD keep record cards for vehicles that didn't have a reg no. and if so who has them and are they available. Also would the MOD of written an operators manual or used the civy one?

Cheers, C.

$_57.jpg

234.jpg

Hi all,

Bought a cheap crane as it was time I needed some heavy lifting gear in the yard for a 432 pack lift and to my surprise it's ex MOD :-) . Did the MOD keep record cards for vehicles that didn't have a reg no. and if so who has them and are they available. Also would the MOD of written an operators manual or used the civy one?

Cheers, C.

Hi Charlie,

I was involved with testing and calibrating cranes while working for the army and we did have these Iron Fairy Saffires and they did carry a WD registration no.. The workshop I was at had two of these on unit strength at one time. RAF also had them. It should have a Ford 6 cyl diesel engine. Is there any trace of green paint?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that, good to know. There is no trace of green paint and I think has always been yellow. It has a Perkins 6354 (think there the right numbers from memory) which was fitted to later models. Will have another rummage around and see if there are any more data plates.

C.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that, good to know. There is no trace of green paint and I think has always been yellow. It has a Perkins 6354 (think there the right numbers from memory) which was fitted to later models. Will have another rummage around and see if there are any more data plates.

C.

Charlie,

you are correct, my memory, the early Iron Fairy had Ford and the Sapphire was 6.354 powered, a much better engine.

LW Vass at Ampthill have one in their yard I have used it many times , it will not lift much weight but it is very controllable,No good off road either as I found out driving over rubble and it lost traction, That I seem to remember had a service reg no on a plate somewhere

Had a good look and can't find any more data plates :( Never mind. Can't find any green paint either although i suspect it will become a green machine in the near future :)

Can't lift a great amount Retriever, 6 MT, but for the moment thats all I need to restore a couple of 432's and at 2K I couldn't turn it down. The wife was not pleased with the purchase coming up to Christmas even when i sugested that she could use it as a washing line! Go figure? lol.

HQ Engineer Resources at Long Marston had several Iron Fairy's for general lifting duties while I was there in the mid eighties. All the Depot use equipment, be it crane, forklift, tug tractor etc, were all painted yellow. So a non green one wouldn't be too unusual.

I'm sure they all carried a standard Military registration plate, but I can't remember for sure