LARC 60's

Tiffy_massive

Does anyone know anything about the 2 LARC 60s sat on the mud near Tipnor ranges Portsmouth? I have seen them many times and often wondered what their future if any is. I had an idea a few years ago to try and have one moved to be restored and used as a gate guardian at 17 Port & Maritime Regt, but never really followed the idea up.

They are on the mud to the East of the M275 and just to the North of what looks like the greyhound track in Portsmouth.

Portsmouth.jpg

LARC 60@Portsmouth.png

They're LARC LX-60s, and they're at what is left of Pounds' yard. Pounds' were a well known scrap and surplus dealers, now pretty much cleared out. They had an awful lot of ex-W.D., M.o.D. and D.o.D. kit over the years.

Apparently REME moved the LARCs to hard(er) standing in January last year to help prepare them to be scrapped.

Edit - and while I was posting, David's very kindly supplied a link to the REME move!

Edited by Sean N
typo

I remember a few of these in storage up in port sunlight, I think they where owned by land and marine but as always I could be wrong :)

In Birkenhead docks there is an original lct from dday which was floating a few years ago but now lies at the bottom of the dock :(

Dave

Being pedantic- Aren't they BARCS? Barge Amphibous Re-supply Cargo as oppsed to Larcs- Lighter Amphbious Re-supply Cargo. BARC being 60 ton cargo LARCK 5 ton.

Hi Tony, BARC was an earlier designation and they were later redesignated LARC.

Lighter in this context doesn't mean less heavy, it's used in the sense of a flat bottomed boat used to transfer cargo, so they're all lighters, even the heavier ones!