disc brakes on a S-3 lwt

WCMatt

This may seem like blasphomy but has anyone done that? Convert their light weight from drums to disc brakes? Maybe theres a conversion kit of some sort out there, available? I know Helitool used to make such kits for the old Dodge power wagon/WCs, M37s & M715s.

Matt

Thanks for the replies, guys! Glad to read that there is at least someone out there building the conversion kits for series LRs. I'm affraid I'm a long way off from needing a conversion kit for my ltw as it is completely torn down for resto....

Regards,

Matt

That is something to definately look into. The disc brake conversion sets sold for the Dodge WCs/M37s used late 70s to mid 80s Chevy componants as they are very common over here....

Seeing how the air portable is a rather light vehicle, I'd imagine that the drums on it would be sufficient to stop the vehicle (provided everything is in good working order & you're not doing anything crazy). I converted my WC51 to discs for not only the increased stoping power, but more for ease of maintenance & reliability. The Dodge wheel hub oil seals have a habit of leaking & coating the inside of the brake drum with an oily film which can make things kind of fun when the foot brake is applied....

Matt

Edited by WCMatt