Airborne Jeep - No 22 set

Tom M

Hi,

I am making a mount for a 22 set in my Airborne Jeep, but can't find the hole pattern for the mounting bolts on the wing. The airborne conversion drawings don't provide any dimensions. Does anyone have a complete rack that they can measure, or know the hole pattern?

Many thanks.

I think that the installation of 22 set (or other) was quite involved for an Airborne jeep. It involved lowering the left rear innner wing by about 2 inches as well as drilling. This was to allow for fitting under the mainspar of a horsa glider. I guess most modern jeep owners wont really need to do this as accurately. the website below is interesting reading, and I'm sure does refer to this in the rebuild.

http://www.goatpark.force9.co.uk/tempsite/home.htm

Dave.

google Airborne & SAS jeeps and then go into the facebook for it- I am not a FB member but hit on the link whilst researching these jeeps. go into photos there is a drawing that shows the hole pattern and shows the dimension between the 2 rows of holes.

good luck

TED

google Airborne & SAS jeeps and then go into the facebook for it- I am not a FB member but hit on the link whilst researching these jeeps. go into photos there is a drawing that shows the hole pattern and shows the dimension between the 2 rows of holes.

good luck

TED

Thanks for the link. I found the drawing (not one I have seen before, as the reproduced drawing pack by Rob Van Meel doesn't have that one), unfortunately the dimensions are just out of shot as the photo is only of part of the drawing, otherwise it would have been perfect. I am now on a quest to find the complete drawing.

Emil Bruce has found an original wireless airborne jeep. You can see how the tub has been lowered on the left side to accommodate the 22 set.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/swedeherbie/British%20Airborne%20Jeep/BritishAirborneJeep016.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/swedeherbie/British%20Airborne%20Jeep/BritishAirborneJeep017.jpg

Thanks for the useful photographs. I believe my Jeep may have been a radio Jeep as there are some pulleys fixed to the underside of the body/chassis that look to be the some size as telephone cable. There is also an unusual pair of brackets welded to the front chassis cross member. Unfortunately the Jeep was rebuilt by No23 Base Workshop in the 50s and most of the airborne conversions were lost. Only the steering wheel and horn on the dash remain. I have heard that the Base Workshops welded over any holes as part of the rebuild. Does anyone know if thus is true?

I am still looking for dimensions for the 22 set mounting feet if anyone has them.

Tom. I can see from the picture of the non airborne Jeep, that the feet used are those U shaped metal/rubber feet as used on a 19set. So if the feet are bolted to your 22 set vehicle mount frame. Would you not just drill the holes to line up where your feet sit on the wing top. Ron

Hello Ron,

I have made my 22 set mount from scratch as I am unlikely to find an original one. Hence, I don't have anything to work from for the feet dimensions. I could just make them and drill the holes in the wing to match, but I am keen to keep the holes where they should be in case I find an original one day.

Hi,

I am making a mount for a 22 set in my Airborne Jeep, but can't find the hole pattern for the mounting bolts on the wing. The airborne conversion drawings don't provide any dimensions. Does anyone have a complete rack that they can measure, or know the hole pattern?

Many thanks.

Hi

I have a complete working WS22 set installation for my jeep. Let me know what measurements you require and I'll try and help you.

Cheetrs

Pino

Hi Pino,

Would you be able to confirm where the mounting holes are for the radio mounting rack. Also, how have you fixed it to the wing? Have you drilled holes or welded bolts onto the wing as per the airborne modification drawings?

Do you know where I can get 22 set spares? The aerial tuning dial has been removed on my set, and my power unit is in a 19 set case. Do you have any pictures of your jeep installation anywhere?

Thanks