Anyone a train aficionado?

fesm_ndt

I got sent some pictures of a narrow gauge Hudswell locomotive today and after a bit of a search around I found this company did some military related work. Also it is not listed as a surviving example.

The owners want to run it up so looking for info and I am also wondering if this might have been looted from Singapore when it fell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudswell_Clarke

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93705[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93704[/ATTACH]

I got sent some pictures of a narrow gauge Hudswell locomotive today and after a bit of a search around I found this company did some military related work. Also it is not listed as a surviving example.

The owners want to run it up so looking for info and I am also wondering if this might have been looted from Singapore when it fell

Hi Mike,

Looking at the photos, I doubt this engine is of an age that it was at the fall of Singapore. From the outside I would say it dates from 1960's ............ could be wrong :-|

Nice!

Once upon a time I had a bit to do with the British Army's Railway capability - 79 Railway Sqn. Amongst other things we ran the first operational rail system since Palestine in Kosovo in 1999. We also had the first military rail crash since Palestine too...

This looks in great shape - not sure that its WW2 vintage though is it? A railway loco from the folks who build the casings for nuclear bombs....

Richard is not wrong :)

Anorak on / Out of interest and with a military connection Hudswell Clarke pioneered the use of large diesel engines for installation on locomotives - a massive loco called Junin built in 1930 fitted with McLaren-Benz engine , a variant of those originally fitted to U-boats, for a narrow gauge nitrate railway in Chile and which is now preserved at Armley Mills museum, Leeds.

They also built a petrol railcar in 1933 for the Royal Engineers who operated the Spurn Point military line (Spurn and Kilnsea Rly), as well as Austerity tank locos - and of course narrow gauge steam locos for use in WW1. / Anorak off.

When you say narrow gauge to what gauge are you referring? There's a lot of things defined as narrow, Singapore is metre gauge mostly and looking by the pictures it looks like the gauge is close to that, which waves off any use by us, seems as the last metre gauge went at the end of world war one, the use of a buck eye coupling too makes you think its some industrial shunter and the definite lack of any serious pictures online leads me to believe this isn't seriously old as it simply doesn't fit the style of anything pre 1960. (ish). However if you know the owners what you'll find on the locomotive is a brass plate, that will have everything you need to know, usually its on the drivers side of the cab on the outside at head level, or it could have been removed but there will be something in the cab to give you an idea but if it is there, that will give you the locomotive class weights and importantly build year and manufacture and number, with this information you will be able to get in touch with Hudswell Archives and they pretty much could tell you everything about it, including powerplant details which you can then chase so you can get her running.

Have fun!:D

Edited by SebBrady

Depends on the client really, it was a foreign loco from the outset as it doesnt have any UK couplings on it or air supply, so who knows... ive passed the picture to a friend and hes pretty good with his trains so well see....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudswell_Clarke

It looks post-war. I'm a bit confused by your Singapore remark, do you mean looted by the Japanese? There was a preserved steam loco (standard gauge) from Duxford for years, complete with bullet holes.

jh

Mike - I think I've found your loco!

Supplied 5th Jan 1965 to ICI Malaya, 34 Tons, Metre gauge, Works No. D1336, Diesel Hydraulic.

The engine details are 250NHRS-6-IPTC/7W10701. This I take to be a Cummins NH250 and the whole thing could be the engine serial no.

Once I had found my HC Works List it was quite easy as this was the only metre gauge diesel they made. It has to be metre gauge if its task was to move mainline wagons in Malaya.

The only other similar sized locos - all exported - appear to have been a 38T loco to 3'6" gauge supplied 1963 to Malawi - again with NH250xxx engine, two to BP Nigeria - 34T and 3'6" gauge in 1965 - NH242xxx engines(?), and one 34T loco 3'6" gauge to Zambian cement works 1967

So D1336 it is then?

Edited by N.O.S.

Mike - I think I've found your loco!

Supplied 5th Jan 1965 to ICI Malaya, 34 Tons, Metre gauge, Works No. D1336, Diesel Hydraulic.

The engine details are 250NHRS-6-IPTC/7W10701. This I take to be a Cummins NH250 and the whole thing could be the engine serial no.

Once I had found my HC Works List it was quite easy as this was the only metre gauge diesel they made. It has to be metre gauge if its task was to move mainline wagons in Malaya.

The only other similar sized locos - all exported - appear to have been a 38T loco to 3'6" gauge supplied 1963 to Malawi - again with NH250xxx engine, two to BP Nigeria - 34T and 3'6" gauge in 1965 - NH242xxx engines(?), and one 34T loco 3'6" gauge to Zambian cement works 1967

So D1336 it is then?

:wow::cool2: Cheers, I'll have to see if one of the guys can get down there and see if it has a plate still in it.

I think my friends want me to price up an engine rebuild..... with me doing the work.