Registering M/Bike with DVLA

gary0003

You MAY need to MOT the bike on its frame number, as it is it's first registration then get a verification letter from a recognised body (MVT?) that it is what it purports to be. Send this with valid insurance again done on the frame number to DVLA along with completed form V55/5 (available only via Swansea) and registration fee £55?. If you deal with Chris Brook at the MVT he is a mine of information and a great help you, providing you do EXACTLY as he suggests, should have no trouble getting your bike registered. Contact Chris he will advise you better than I can. Good luck :D

You MAY need to MOT the bike on its frame number, as it is it's first registration then get a verification letter from a recognised body (MVT?) that it is what it purports to be. Send this with valid insurance again done on the frame number to DVLA along with completed form V55/5 (available only via Swansea) and registration fee £55?. If you deal with Chris Brook at the MVT he is a mine of information and a great help you, providing you do EXACTLY as he suggests, should have no trouble getting your bike registered. Contact Chris he will advise you better than I can. Good luck :D

Thank you very much for your help - how do I get in touch with Chris?

I know it's a british bike but you'll also need to register with hmrc, it's called a NOVA declaration, it's a bit of a farce but dvla do an automatic check and if it's not on the register then they send your v55c back until you've done the nova bit.

its easy to do and you don't need to send anything as it's all online, check the .gov website.

dave

I know it's a british bike but you'll also need to register with hmrc, it's called a NOVA declaration, it's a bit of a farce but dvla do an automatic check and if it's not on the register then they send your v55c back until you've done the nova bit.

its easy to do and you don't need to send anything as it's all online, check the .gov website.

dave

Chris here!!!

The process is reasonably simple

If you are in the MVT go to the MVT website and follow the verification tab

Fill in the online form

(MVT Members get the service for free, non members there is a charge of £40 plus VAT (membership costs £30)

You will get a reply from me asking for some further details

I will then arrange for an inspection to confirm it is what it is

When this is done I will issue a dating letter and this and some other documentation and you should then get an age related number

You do not need an MOT (pre 1960 is exempt)

You do need a form V55 only available from the DVLA and you will have to make a NOVA declaration

Hi there,

No doubt Jan will chime in here too, since RE's are involved, but want to point out one thing, the number you quoted as being the engine number is not that, that is the repeated frame number, nice to know this engine belongs in the frame but the real engine number can be found under the magdyno, so a little bit to the right, and and a bit lower then the other number.

So can be seen, just above the primary chaincase, under the points cover. You might aswell register it with the right numbers I'd say.

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

I am also about to register a WD Velo. Everything I read about this NOVA declaration states it's for vehicles imported into the UK. Is it also necessary for registering a UK vehicle? Anyone got a link to the form or correct department.

Thanks Ron

I am also about to register a WD Velo. Everything I read about this NOVA declaration states it's for vehicles imported into the UK. Is it also necessary for registering a UK vehicle? Anyone got a link to the form or correct department.

Thanks Ron

Try the HMRC website

Hi Chris. I've been going round in circles for the last half hour trying to find a way to contact HMRC about a NOVA declaration. Why am I doing it? Since the vehicle is not an import??? Ron

PS. I've managed to sent a query to HMRC by email. I'll post the results when and if I get any. During my googling round, I came across other forums talking about what an utter farce the whole thing is and that DVLA and HMRC are not properly working together on this ...... Sounds about right!!

Edited by Ron
added info

Hi Chris. I've been going round in circles for the last half hour trying to find a way to contact HMRC about a NOVA declaration. Why am I doing it? Since the vehicle is not an import??? Ron

PS. I've managed to sent a query to HMRC by email. I'll post the results when and if I get any. During my googling round, I came across other forums talking about what an utter farce the whole thing is and that DVLA and HMRC are not properly working together on this ...... Sounds about right!!

Try here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/agents/nova/online.htm

I dont know what the rules are for a vehicle that has spent all its life in the UK

However if a declaration is made (and they usually come back with nothing to pay) it ticks a box with the DVLA and doesnt stop them issuing a registration number

The MVT unfortunately cannot get involved with this process.........not being obtuse but it is the responsibility of the owner to complete this process

Hi there,

No doubt Jan will chime in here too, since RE's are involved, but want to point out one thing, the number you quoted as being the engine number is not that, that is the repeated frame number, nice to know this engine belongs in the frame but the real engine number can be found under the magdyno, so a little bit to the right, and and a bit lower then the other number.

So can be seen, just above the primary chaincase, under the points cover. You might aswell register it with the right numbers I'd say.

Cheers,

Lex

Don't know about the legislation in England... But you may need an official "dating certificate" from an owners club. If you are a member of the Royal Enfield Owners Club, they can make you such a certificate.

Jan

Don't know about the legislation in England... But you may need an official "dating certificate" from an owners club. If you are a member of the Royal Enfield Owners Club, they can make you such a certificate.

Jan

Only if the club is recognised by the DVLA to issue dating letters

Try here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/agents/nova/online.htm

I dont know what the rules are for a vehicle that has spent all its life in the UK

However if a declaration is made (and they usually come back with nothing to pay) it ticks a box with the DVLA and doesnt stop them issuing a registration number

The MVT unfortunately cannot get involved with this process.........not being obtuse but it is the responsibility of the owner to complete this process

Chris I have spent ages looking at all this. It appears to me that to do it on line, you have to register with HMRC as if you are registering a business for VAT. It all looks far to involved. I'm going to try the VAT help-desk number and get a paper form NAVO1 sent to me. I see on another forum a guy who is trying to register his WM20 is having the same problem with a bike that has probably never left these shores. So far he's waited for three weeks for HMRC to respond to his application.

I have to say I'm not new at this, having registered at least 10 vehicles/motorcycles of my own over the years and also helped lots of others as a local agent for the MVT in years gone by.

Cheers Ron

And further:- I just spoke to a nice guy at HMRC VAT (Ian on 0300 200 3700). He informed me that a declaration is not necessary on a vehicle that has not been imported. But that he'd heard that DVLA are still insisting on it. So he is going to email me the form NOVA1. I'll keep the information coming in case it might help others. Ron

Only if the club is recognised by the DVLA to issue dating letters

Yes, Ron pointed out that all marque clubs have to re-apply with the DVLA, even if they had been doing this service for more then 20 years!!

But the Enfield club, as being big, will soon find out, or already have re-applied with the DVMA?

Cheers,

Lex

I received the NOVA form from HMRC. 7 pages to fill out. The guy at HMRC said I didn't need it as it's not an imported vehicle but he'd send it to me anyway. I've just got off the phone from DVLA who also tell me I don't need it. I queried if she was correct in this assumption, so she went and asked at the new registrations department, who also categorically stated that I do not need a NOVA declaration. I'll send it in as normal and see what happens.

Ron, confused from Poole with blinding headache.

The Royal Enfield Owners Club are certainly on the DVLA's most recent list and probably the only organisation who can provide an accurate build date as they are the sole holders of the surviving factory records. Any more general club will be reliant on secondary sources. This may well not be important to an owner looking simply for a wartime dated registration and may not warrant the cost of joining a further club.

WD/COs in particular are a complex area as so many were factory re-stamped before being re-sold by Enfield in the immediate post-war period.