Dodge WC 56/57 Command car in British use?

Old Git

Question

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the use of the Dodge Command car (WC 56/57) by British forces during WWII. I'm pretty sure they were used by our chaps in the Far East and in Italy but did they see much use with British elements in NWE?

This looks like either a 56 or 57 in British use in Italy...

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

THE INAUGURATION OF NEW REGENTS FOR SAN MARINO, ITALY, 1 OCTOBER 1944. © IWM (TR 2386)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Edited by Old Git

10 answers to this question

I think there's enough photographic evidence to prove their use by British troops in both Italy and the Far East (see pics of Mountbatten below) but it's Normandy to Berlin that I'm interested in and I've yet to see a pic of one in use by our lads in NWE. But, given that we were using them in other theatres, then I'm inclined to believe we must have had some for use in NWE. Then again, the Yanks took up a lot of the supply slack in those other theatres so that could explain their use amongst our lads in those AO's.

I've picked up a 1/6th scale model of a Dodge command car which I'd like to make use of in a British role somewhere in NWE. It's currently marked up as Patton's ride but I'm inclined to think it'll look much better in British service, possibly with the RE so it can go with my Bailey Bridge!

[There are official pictures of the 1/2 ton command car/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pics of the early 1/2 ton Command Car, I believe by the time of the WC56/57 it was a 3/4 ton Command Car with a slight different style to it?

BTW, typical bloody officer, using the drivers head as a map board!

THE BRITISH ARMY IN BURMA 1945. © IWM (SE 1404)IWM Non Commercial Licence

THE BRITISH ARMY IN BURMA 1945. © IWM (SE 1403)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Edited by Old Git

Anyone care to hazard a guess what vehicle this is in the background, behind the jeep. It looks like a Dodge weapons carrier to me although I'm no expert on the matter!

large.jpg

Copyright IWM, HU 99822 Lieutenant-Colonel David Niven, the film actor, smiles for the photographer while sitting in a commandeered Citroen car with a Royal Engineers officer, during his service with Phantom GHQ Liaison Regiment in France.