Starter Jeep advice

IdleBaldy

Hi all,

I am new to the MV world, and am considering my first purchase at the moment.

I have been researching where to start for a few months now - been to a few MV shows, shipped and read Ren Bernier's guide from the US etc etc.

Ideally I would like to get to an authentic WW2 GPW, but I am a realist and with my extremely limited mechanical knowledge, I suspect it would be better to start with something more modern.

I thinking reliability is more important than authenticity for my first MV.

So I would like to know if I am better to go with a Hotchkiss M201 or M38 to start with while I build experience and networks (assuming these are likely to require less input than an old gem).

It seems there are more cheaper runners available and less pitfalls with the more modern options for a clueless starter.

Can anyone offer advice?

I'd suggest two options:

1. If you've got your heart set on a GPW, just buy one. Getting what you really want can be very cathartic and you can either learn the mechanical side of things (stuff like an old Jeep can be a bit finicky, but they are mechanically very simple and are relatively easy to work on); or you can pay someone else to maintain it.
  2. Get something like a Land Rover. They're cheap, plentiful, relatively easy to work on and they're a very good car.

Cheers,

Terry

I'm with Terry, I wanted a WW2 jeep but realised that they were getting beyond my budget, I very nearly bought a Hotchkiss instead but in the end went with my heart and bought a Ford GPW needing work, I found it easy to work on and I have never regretted getting the one I really wanted. The Hotchkiss jeep's are great vehicles and they are certainly newer than a MB or GPW but they are basically the same deep down so if you can work on a Hotchkiss you can work on a MB. Take someone who knows their jeeps when you go to look at one as there are many post war jeeps dressed as WW2 veterans out there. Either models are fine vehicles though and unlikely to lose money over time. Land Rover's are another good choice for a first MV, with excellent spares back up and many models to choose from. Whatever you choose you can be sure many people on here will help and advise you. Good Luck :-D

Do your research up front - and don't buy the first jeep you see - unless it meets the criteria you have established

I bought my jeep over 30 years ago when there was very little information around - but if I was starting all over again, I would find this book very useful and informative.

http://www.wwiijeepbook.com/

The other thing to do is get yourself onto G503.com - there probably isn't a question you might ask that can't be answered by somebody on there.

The joys of the older vehicles is that they are fixable. If you can read the manual and know one end of a spanner from the other you can learn. The uses of a place like this is the experienced people willing to help. Be realastic on what you want and can afford, and ALWAYS take a second opinion with you.

Even Land Rovers are getting stupid prices now. Be very honest about your own , mechanical skils and equipment , work places available. Avoid the odditys such as a 101, great vehicles but they do need a lot of maintince and spares are expensive.

Do your research up front - and don't buy the first jeep you see - unless it meets the criteria you have established

I bought my jeep over 30 years ago when there was very little information around - but if I was starting all over again, I would find this book very useful and informative.

http://www.wwiijeepbook.com/

The other thing to do is get yourself onto G503.com - there probably isn't a question you might ask that can't be answered by somebody on there.

Thanks Simon, already bought the book - Ren shipped it and I've read it from cover to cover already, and it only fuelled my desire :)

Thanks Simon, already bought the book - Ren shipped it and I've read it from cover to cover already, and it only fuelled my desire :)

Doh - note to self - read the posts properly.

Good luck with your search for the right jeep .

Take someone with you to view jeeps, even pay a professional to come with you, it will pay off in the long run. Sadly i have seen too may people who have been misled as to what they were buying and to the true condition of it under the paint.

Jeeps are a fantastic vehicles and so much fun to drive and tinker with, but they can also me an absolute minefield.

Take someone with you to view jeeps, even pay a professional to come with you, it will pay off in the long run. Sadly i have seen too may people who have been misled as to what they were buying and to the true condition of it under the paint.

Jeeps are a fantastic vehicles and so much fun to drive and tinker with, but they can also me an absolute minefield.

Good advice :goodidea:

Pete

Thanks for the advice so far!

I have just completed phase 1 of the battleplan - replace the garage roof and clear the crap out so I have a nice cosy place to store any future purchase.

Found some old olive drab jerry cans at the back that I had forgotten about.

I must've saved a couple of quid already with those. :yay: