Leyland Martians.

Wouldent mind a wrecker version preferable one with a diesel transplant, but they seem to be quite rare?, or am I wrong.

bill.

Quite rare now and difficult to convert. Big diesel, say RR Eagle or Cummins 12 / 14 litre too long for engine bay so a few done with extended chassis and bonnet. Shorter engines like V8 Perkins or V8 Cummins not enough torque and power to comfortably get the 24 tonnes and 6x6 transmission rolling.

I had a very nice one with Perkins V8 (naturally aspirated) once suspend towed a Scammell Explorer from Preston to Stockport, at one point on the M6 south of Preston I was down to 4mph.....really scary, watching rearview mirror ready to dive onto hard shoulder as normal trucks approaching at 56mph !

At Evesham last year or maybe it was the year before that ??? ..sorry I'm a bit hazy ! ...

anyways...there was an absolute beauty there with a new-ish modern big turboed diesel in and she was truly a work of art........ I'm pretty sure she hadn't been extended ? ... she was owned by a father and son team and was an exceptionally beautiful truck , in truly an incredible condition too :)

My ol' Dad who drove them in Korea and Malaya was mighty impressed and got quite animated ! :) He even clambered off his motability scooter to have a good look how they'd done it :)

Keep the petrol in it - its only money!

One of these days I will sort out a simple gas conversion for these sort of things. There's a chap n Beverley who has a gas converted B60 in a Dennis fire engine. It runs a treat and the running costs are easily as good as a diesel conversion.

even with diesel engine they would only be getting 4 or 5mpg I would have thought depending upon the engine. if you get a really modern lump fitted you could see 10 mpg plus I suppose...but do you intend to do that many miles that its worth the bother...

The L10 is a big long motor, but there is a fine chap who advertises on the ERF site (REVS):

"We are currently breaking 20+ erfs , e series , c series , ec 10 , 11 , 12 , 14, ecs , ecx .......so most parts on the shelf ....... plus we are buying in erfs daily, If you require any parts , or have any end of life vehicles , please give us a try, for a friendly service. Contact Paul on 07502 278441"