raf hillman minx staff car

brains4planes

Very nice.

My only (small) piece of criticism would be the proportions of the roundel. These should have the ring diameters on a 1:3:5 ratio. Otherwise a very good looking vehicle, this is what i envisioned the RAF Museum's Minx would look like when finished.

• 10 months later...

I've a 37 (first registered Feb 38) Minx in early war RAF (hence Blue) colours,. When restoring yours did you have problems sourcing window regulators and the internal (or infernal!) bakelite window surrounds, or were you fortunate enough to have them with the car?

Another question, where did you find out about the serial numbers and application of squadron markings for the vehicle?

(I've a picture of my late father driving a wartime Ford with a RAF number on it and thought about using that (but I'd rather mock her up as a real Minx in service!)

Hillman restoration B&W (173).jpg

She came in a box of bits- well several actually, and needed a complete body off restoration, including engine, gearbox and diff strip and rebuild. But it was either this or consign her to a parts stripper or hot rodder.............sacrilige!!

Mike

Hillman restoration (147).jpg

Hillman restoration (171).jpg

Hillman restoration (150).jpg

Mike,

The roundel on the front wing wasn't introduced officially until 1941, after the fleet was starting to be camouflaged; before then many staff cars had a sign in the window that merely had R.A.F. on. That would be the extent of markings (I'm trying to remember when they stopped painting R.A.F. on the sides of vehicles in white) so I'm afraid the RAF are a bit boring in that respect- so no serial numbers before the war, just the Middlesex registration number.

Bryan

• 8 years later...

Hello, Do you still own the Hillman as I have just seen it parked half a mile from where I live. Looks very good and I have just come across your post on here and was very interested to read about it as I am interested in all historic vehicles and work as a volunteer at the local transport museum.