RAF transfers

MartinN

I just ordered stencils to mark one of my bikes from Axholme signs. Of coarse you have to spray/brush paint them yourself.

This is the proof they sent me.

Ron

Scan-140317-0002.jpg

Edited by Ron

This is my effort so far. I'm just waiting for a couple more stencils for the unit marking. I've used Axholme stencils numerous times with good results. I'm often hampered by having to apply census numbers to the double curvature of motorcycle petrol tanks, but I have my way of getting round it. I have to say though, that the RAF roundel is an awkward one and I cocked up the little one on the tank, again not helped by the curves. But Tony had sent me a spare one, so I was able to proceed with a bit more care. But I don't think I would want to use stickers on this period of vehicle.........Don't the MODS use them? Ron

PS I used PLASTICOTE enamel small rattle cans off ebay Night Blue/White/Red, gloss (although it's not too glossy) and Matt White on the numbers.

Big 4 205.jpg

Edited by Ron

Sorry to be a nuisance but can anyone give me details of what lettering sizes and location of them. For my mw as a 2ATAF vehicle.

Hi I got your PM. But in all honesty I don't know the sizes or if there was a directive from the Air Ministry on a standard format? The few motorcycle pictures I have studied and the two original RAF Norton Big 4 pictures that I have, indicate to me that each base just put the numbers on as they saw fit. My advice would be to copy an original picture as close as you can. Maybe the RAF buffs know better?

Ron

DSCN3108.JPG

DSCN3109.JPG