Jeep aerial tie down

125LAA

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Does anybody know where I can get a tie down for my jeep radio aerial. I understand they are difficult to get hold of. If I had a close up of one it may be possible to make a copy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Someone had some at Stoneleigh I believe but I can't remember who sorry, it's an age thing :-D There's Newark coming up so high chance you could get one there, or if you're not going I can either get you one and forward it or the details for you to contact them direct ? :-)

so ..some nylon 'para' cord....a small single wheel pulley... something like would be used on a clothes line and a 'safety' type snap hook ..? :) ..

all available from any farmers / countryside type store I would have thought??... and almost certainly significantly cheaper than anyone will charge you for a so called 'genuine 'US Army Jeep' one? :)

the other thing is thisthough.....I do love the 'used and abused on the battlefield' look over the 'pristine / immaculate just been nut and bolt refurbished to a mega higher standard that it was ever built in the first place' look :) ..........so.....surely in the field the aerial would have been lashed down out the way with whatever came to hand? ..

in that case....a suitable bit of baler twine or fence wire would do wouldn't it?.

..mind you , dependent of course on the unit markings on your particular vehicle and hence where it may have been used?....it might have to genuine French or Italian baler twine .... haha :)

so ..some nylon 'para' cord....a small single wheel pulley... something like would be used on a clothes line and a 'safety' type snap hook ..? :) ..

all available from any farmers / countryside type store I would have thought??... and almost certainly significantly cheaper than anyone will charge you for a so called 'genuine 'US Army Jeep' one? :)

the other thing is thisthough.....I do love the 'used and abused on the battlefield' look over the 'pristine / immaculate just been nut and bolt refurbished to a mega higher standard that it was ever built in the first place' look :) ..........so.....surely in the field the aerial would have been lashed down out the way with whatever came to hand? ..

in that case....a suitable bit of baler twine or fence wire would do wouldn't it?.

..mind you , dependent of course on the unit markings on your particular vehicle and hence where it may have been used?....it might have to genuine French or Italian baler twine .... haha :)

I agree with the "used and abused" look because thats how they would have been. I also dont like "rivet" counters BUT there is no harm in trying to get the right part to start with. These parts are NOT that exspensive we picked one up from ebay for a little more than a tenner.

They would not have had the modern type "paracord". Dont get me wrong I'm not against "make do and mend" but that should not be a excuse not to try and get the right thing....after all were not all jeeps 101/82nd and fitted with radial tires..........

Edited by gas 44

You may need to research the reason for the tie down. I don't know a great deal about wartime radio fittings but some modern US antennas are tied forwards to assist in NVIS (Near Vertical Incidence Skywave) which is part of the radio propagation method. If this is the case the angle is controlled so a kit is more likely to be used.