Guess what I was doing yesterday

Mark

Sitting on the gun on the road isn't really a good idea!

I quite agree Chris - Much safer in the Turret - Just ask the guys who were in the one that turned over at Beltring a few years back !!.

Mind you - you need bloody quick reactions !!.

Cheers.

Bob.

I quite agree Chris - Much safer in the Turret - Just ask the guys who were in the one that turned over at Beltring a few years back !!.

Mind you - you need bloody quick reactions !!.

Cheers.

Bob.

Did one turn over at Beltring?

Haven't heard about that one and'we've been going there since 2000.

Hopefully noone got hurt.

Did one turn over at Beltring?

Haven't heard about that one and'we've been going there since 2000.

Hopefully noone got hurt.

Yes an Abbott did turn over at Beltring - Onto its side - I was there (As were many other people), I have a video of it happening, given to me by someone who filmed it - It went onto its side on the off road course - And all onboard were very lucky to walk away.

If I remember correctly, the driver was covered in oil.

Thinking about the date, It was possibly before 2000 - Will try to dig out the tape and see if it has a date on.

Bob.

Don't forget the woman who was sat on top of an Abbot much like Mark, going down a track much like Mark was. The vehicle went on to soft ground at the side of the road, went over on its side. The woman was flug off the vehicle, which then landed on top of her. Not good when the guy driving had only married her a few days before. Don't sit on the outside of an AFV driving along unless you're strapped on, and even then you're better off inside.

Chris

Don't forget the woman who was sat on top of an Abbot much like Mark, going down a track much like Mark was. The vehicle went on to soft ground at the side of the road, went over on its side. The woman was flug off the vehicle, which then landed on top of her. Not good when the guy driving had only married her a few days before. Don't sit on the outside of an AFV driving along unless you're strapped on, and even then you're better off inside.

Chris

Chris - I remember that one as well - Nasty Buisness.

Have Fun - But Be Safe !!.

Bob

Grasshoper

I have several articles on my website that go into detail about the operation of armoured vehicles.

See graphic below (hopefully it won't look like a bomb hit it).

Regards

Doug

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Armoured Vehicles Collector

_______

_/_(_o_)_\_ ____

_/|___|_|___|\_ /____\

/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_

/\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__

|w||___________||w| N.S.W. /__\__________/__\

|w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|

|w| \_________/ |w| |w|$ \______/ $|w|

[w] [w] [w] [w]

M8 Ferret

dgrev@iinet.net.au

Web Armour site at:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/lsm/dhmg/index.html (UK mirror site)

and

http://www.trackpads.net/sites/heavymetal/ (US mirror site)

If the driver cannot see the commander, keep exchanging the odd word of chat so that you know you still have comms.

I think it must have been late 1981, probably the annual FTX, I was sat in the commander's position of 2 Bravo, the second Squadron FHQ command Sultan while we took part in a tactical night formation move (pretty sure there was more than just our battlegroup so it must have been a Brigade or Divisional move).

Suddenly we rolled up behind the vehicle we were following in our packet, stopped and killed the headlights (we were on public roads and the Germans didn't like us travelling on public roads on convoy lights). My operator got out and stood guard while I manned the radios. We sat ... and sat ... and sat. Being tactical there was minimal radio traffic anyway.

The Colonel turned up. That was a surprise: Command Troop was nowhere near us in the order of march. "Corporal Alien. I have here the telephone number of the nearest Krankenhaus. You're the regiment's German Linguist and there is a telephone box. Call the Krankenhaus and tell them we need an ambulance at this location to recover a man with serious head wounds."

I yattered on at the German at the other end of the phone but I wasn't believed. Eventually an ambulance was despatched.

While we awaited its arrival I got the story direct from the Colonel (whom I'd driven as a Squadron commander a couple of years before). We were near the front of our Battlegroup. Just ahead of us, one of the last packets of the previous (infantry) battlegroup had been led by a Warrant Officer in a Mark 1 Ferret. They had turned off the main road onto a narrow track through the woods and immediately killed the lights, switching to convoy lights.

Some time later, the driver became aware that he wasn't getting any input from his commander so he stopped and, being sat so close to him, it took no effort to realise he was no longer there. It transpired that the Ferret has passed under a low bough unseen with no lights, which had caught the commander, snapped his radio droplead, instantly cutting comms, and lifted him out, depositing him right under the tracks of the lead FV432 behind him, which never saw himi.

His head was apparently crushed so badly that it leaned obscenely to one side. He lived for about 12 hours.