Anti Virus Software

Adrian Scott

Question

Can I pick your brains please in regard to anti virus software ,the question sort of relates to the military hobby as it is to do with the computer that I look at HMVF on !!!

I have McAfee anti virus software on my computer that i pay for yearly I think but I keep getting told that Norton anti virus software is better !! What do you guys in the know think ?? Any advice will be greatly received as im really only a computer novice ,

Thanks Adrian.

As for Windows 8, the first thing you should do is install the 8.1 update; this makes it much more liveable on a computer without a touch screen. Rather than trying to get it to look like Windows 7, I would suggest that you put up with it for a couple of weeks - you'll soon wonder what all the fuss was about.

Cheers,

Terry

I've been putting up with it for months not weeks and I still hate it:computerrage:

Whilst I myself run AVG on my Laptop and am fairly happy with it, I was suprised to read in my latest copy of Which magazine the results of the latest Security Software Test, here is the top 5 from a list of 18 tested.

1. Norton 360.

2. Norton Internet security.

3. F-Secure Internet security 2014.

4. Microsoft MS Security Essentials

5. Bitdefender Internet Security.

I personally would never use Norton again due to bad experiences in the past but then what do I know?

Brucie

Something most of us will have to decide as support for XP ends in 48 days time!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx

I have W7 on one machine & don't like it. XP was more straightforward. But I find things like multifunction mice aren't supported on W7 so when the crunch comes I suppose it will be W8. To go for W7 would mean the support plug gets pulled that much sooner. :-(

All that is happening is that after 8th April Microsoft will not be releasing any new updates for XP.

You do NOT have to stop using it !!!

All the existing updates will remain available should you need to do a full re-installation too.

Gradually other software companies, printer manufacturers etc will stop supporting XP too.

Avast are very good supporting old operating systems, Antivirus ver5 still works fine and gets daily updates for Windows 2000.

As to the original question years ago I used AVG but it became resource hungry so I switched to Avast together with Comodo Firewall. This combination seems to be effective and smooth running both on XP and Win7 32bit.

Comodo is now a full Internet Security Suite and the only free one I know that allows commercial use.

It gets good reviews but I've not yet used the Anti-virus component.

All that is happening is that after 8th April Microsoft will not be releasing any new updates for XP.

You do NOT have to stop using it !!!

All the existing updates will remain available should you need to do a full re-installation too.

More importantly, end of support means they won't be developing any more fixes/patches for it. If any further security problems are found they will remain un-fixed and leave your system open to attack/misuse.