1940 Morris Commercial PU8 Project

thedawnpatrol

IMG_1879.jpgDear All

i have recently bought an MCC PU8 for restoration, more of that later, but i spent several hours over the weekend sanding down the cab doors and found some of the original markings.

I found its original serial number, and an Arm of Service badge, but i can't work ouit the red writing on top of the Blue/White box

any ideas ?

Enjoy the photos..............

Jules

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

Just checked the cenus B vehicle list and M4446963 seems to form part of a batch of numbers running from Z4446759 to Z4447758 this block of numbers formed contract V3971 and is listed as 8cwt 4x2 personnel PV Mk11.

the M prefix on yours is unusual as this was applied to light cars ect

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby

Just checked the cenus B vehicle list and M4446963 seems to form part of a batch of numbers running from Z4446759 to Z4447758 this block of numbers formed contract V3971 and is listed as 8cwt 4x2 personnel PV Mk11.

the M prefix on yours is unusual as this was applied to light cars ect

Pete

Yes Pete, i though it was odd having an M prefix................nothing is ever straight forward is it !

does that batch have any date ?

Thank you for this information

Jules

Your welcome Jules nice find,

Any chance of some more photos? seeing as you've teased us with just the census number :).

There is no date for the contract I'm afraid, as a pure guess based on the first two numbers in in the sequence I'd guess mid to late 1941. This isn't always reliable as number blocks seemed to be issued non sequentially however as a rule of thumb the lower the first two digits the earlier the truck was taken on charge, it's worth remembering that the build date may be several months earlier. Having said that at this stage of the war I suspect trucks were taken on charge almost as soon as they left the assembly shed.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple more photos, and after a bit more very careful cleaning, i came across the originally painted number, this time with a 'Z'

also got a little bit more information from the Royal Signal Corps badge, the first letter is an 'A' then i think a '1' or a '4' then lastly a '2'

what do you think ?

cheers

Jules

IMG_1929.jpg

i have decided i can't bear to paint over the original markings, so on oneside, i'm going to leave it exposed...........and just varnish it.

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg