One for Clive - malakara test firings

g0ozs

Folks - I found this on the British Pathe website

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-rocket-race/query/missile+test

Two Malakara firings at about 1'25" in

And this one

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/missile-v-tank/query/missile+test

Also a couple of centurions and Conquerors ..

Regards

Iain

Was it being launched from a white AFV with loads of aerials & wind speed indicators etc?

If its the clip I think it is you can see that it is a Mk 1 missile as it has pyrotechnic flares. Of which only one of the two ignites.

Clive

Working for me now. In one clip dated 1960 the missile is only visible side on from a distance when in flight and the launch vehicle is heavily camouflaged but looks bigger than a hornet. In the other clip dated 1957 it does fit your description.

Iain

Yes both working now. Well it did have a name its just that it wasn't being made public in 1957! Preceding Malkara it was known as Project J in direct opposition the the British weapon of the time Project 6 that became Orange William (which is my avatar).

There were two launch trailers both based on the intended FV4010 Heavy Tank Destroyer. One was in the UK the other arrived in Australia August 1956. It wasn't formally adopted until 1959, when the plug was pulled on Orange William although the Secretary of State for War admitted was a more advanced weapon.