HMVF Facebook - can you help?!

Jack

Morning all

We need some help with HMVF Facebook page (N.O.S. & Richard F, I will explain what Facebook is later :angel: ) We currently have some Facebook pages:

War History Online - https://www.facebook.com/wrhstol

Ghosts Of History - https://www.facebook.com/thenandnowghostsofhistory

We Love WWII Guns - https://www.facebook.com/GunsFromWWII

Plus our own for our own businesses.

We would like to do the same for HMVF - Facebook having billions of users around the world we would like to grab some of those guys and bring them to HMVF so they can share their knowledge. If you know you way around Facebook and have a few minutes on your hands a day and you can be creative and want to be part of driving HMVF's FB page forward then we would love to hear from you. HMVF's page is currently being admin'd by Martyn but would like to give him some help (but he makes awful tea so bring your own flask).

As you can see on HMVF's current Facebook - we take stories from here an link back to HMVF - have a look https://www.facebook.com/hmvfforum

Pay is rubbish, holiday allowance non exsistent and the pension is even worse. If that hasn't put you off then drop me a PM!

Thanks guys,

Jack.

Edited by Jack

Jack I'm not sure what it is either. If it is a means of directing people here that has to be good. Although why people can't use a search engine I don't know.

What I think would be a divisive move would be to cultivate an alternative & elite subculture that would draw away some activity from here destroying the original raison d'etre. I belong to one forum where this has happened draining away the previous thriving forum activity.

Jack I'm not sure what it is either. If it is a means of directing people here that has to be good. Although why people can't use a search engine I don't know.

What I think would be a divisive move would be to cultivate an alternative & elite subculture that would draw away some activity from here destroying the original raison d'etre. I belong to one forum where this has happened draining away the previous thriving forum activity.

Thanks Clive and the whole idea is to make sure that doesn't happen. FB is great for certain things but you can't have the discussions/chats that go on here, on forums. Facebook is a very instant medium - we want to grab those across the world and bring them to HMVF. Facebook also is very picture/image driven so not major content.

So the HMVF FB page is really just going to be used as a hub to bring and point folks to HMVF.

You are right jack, you only find HMVF if you are looking for it, on Facebook you are much more likely to be introduced to it via a friend etc, more of a 'push' than we have now. Also allows people who don't have MVs as a main hobby to perhaps add there 2p, that's why I started a Facebook page for the Loyd Carrier just a month or so ago.

My tea isn't that bad...

It's just that you use the Douglas Adam's vending machine technique. :D

He had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea. The way it functioned was very interesting. When the Drink button was pressed it made an instant but highly detailed examination of the subject's taste buds, a spectroscopic examination of the subject's metabolism and then sent tiny experimental signals down the neural pathways to the taste centers of the subject's brain to see what was likely to go down well. However, no one knew quite why it did this because it invariably delivered a cupful of liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

Thanks Clive and the whole idea is to make sure that doesn't happen. FB is great for certain things but you can't have the discussions/chats that go on here, on forums. Facebook is a very instant medium - we want to grab those across the world and bring them to HMVF. Facebook also is very picture/image driven so not major content.

So the HMVF FB page is really just going to be used as a hub to bring and point folks to HMVF.

Facebook to me anyway seems less substantial and irreverent compared to the main forum which is more formalised and structured. Facebook isn’t structured in that way it provides headline articles in the same way that 24 hour news does with a limited look back facility.

The HMVF Facebook site should be different to cater for the people who will not join a structured forum but who would be willing to join a Facebook page where they can jot a few lines down and add a like or two and move on to the next story.

My gut feeling is that you should link threads from the forum as it does now and share them into the different groups that exist in Facebook land, in that way more people will be willing to look at and maybe join the forum when they see the articles / threads.

Facebook to me anyway seems less substantial and irreverent compared to the main forum which is more formalised and structured. Facebook isn’t structured in that way it provides headline articles in the same way that 24 hour news does with a limited look back facility.

The HMVF Facebook site should be different to cater for the people who will not join a structured forum but who would be willing to join a Facebook page where they can jot a few lines down and add a like or two and move on to the next story.

My gut feeling is that you should link threads from the forum as it does now and share them into the different groups that exist in Facebook land, in that way more people will be willing to look at and maybe join the forum when they see the articles / threads.

Spot on Andy! That's the plan - to capture the Facebook folks and bring them here. Facebook is like the TV that give us '60 second news update'.