Getting V5 for car not taxed since '85

gritineye

What problems am I likely to come across if I apply for historic status for a car that I only have the old buff logbook for?

The number comes up OK on the DVLA as untaxed since 1985.

Do I just send in the logbook for updating or is it not that simple?

Would love to hear that someone who has done this recently with no hassles, I'm reluctant to send anything off until I am happy the car wont have to be inspected or summat as it's in bits

Bernard

I once bought a Series One Landrover that had been a breakdown truck and hence not taxed for many years.....it had a really seriously good number plate on it..and...I did get the old buff Log book with it. I insured it no probs....then went along and taxed it by filling in the old style form for an 'application for a new logbook' ..so withing a few days I had

A: the vehicle with the number plate on ( and had MOT'd it with that number on as well)

B: An insurance document with the number plate on

and C: a Tax Disc with the number plate on .....

then the fun with the DVLA started :)

They sent me a short and to the point letter...

...."this vehicle is not on the DVLA register with that number and you must surrender the number and you can have anew log book with this number on ...and offered me something useless such as 'XZY 394' .... (this was all apparently due to the fact that the old logbook had not been transferred to a V5 within the given time limit)

In short ...I refused to 'hand' my number back unless they gave me a suitable 3 letter number in exchange...(something like 'BOB' or 'TIM' etc) and also sent me the new V5 with the new number before I handed back the old buff logbook.

They refused to do so...and replied that I was "breaking the law blah blah by keeping the vehicle on the road with that number blah blah"..........

this went on for about 18 months...everytime I wanted a new tax disc I simply filled in another 'request for a new logbook' form and the same stream of letters appeared ........

during this time I was also stopped by the police a number of times and questioned as to why my vehicle number didn't appear on the national registry of vehicles?....I always explained about me having the logbook and a tax disc and an MOT etc etc and they said on all occasions... ..

" You're not breaking the law as long as all the documents tie up ..and they do ...so....it's between you and the DVLA"

to cut a long story short eventually the DVLA gave in and let me keep the old number but made it 'non transferable'.

SO!!!!!!!! whatever you do .don't send the old log book in until you have got a suitable 'new' number out of them....

PS: I don't know if things have changed with the DVLA since my episode by the way ! :)

DVLA seem to decide things on wether the person you talk you had a decent breackfast or not. My WC54 was exported 15 years before I got her. When I went to my local office to re-register I idily asked if her original English number was still available. The lady went and checked, after a couple of minutes she came back and said it hadn't be re-allocated, did I want it? They were great all I had to do was sign the form after they'd checked it.

Having that happening to me is just what I am worried about Bob....:shake: nice that you eventually got your way, DVLA do have some numpty ideas sometimes !

Also it now appears I had muddled up what the seller had said (mixed up the numbers) and the number that is in the DVLA data base is the one belonging to another project car he has, the one I am buying only has the buff old style log book...

Bernard

Having that happening to me is just what I am worried about Bob....:shake: nice that you eventually got your way, DVLA do have some numpty ideas sometimes !

Also it now appears I had muddled up what the seller had said (mixed up the numbers) and the number that is in the DVLA data base is the one belonging to another project car he has, the one I am buying only has the buff old style log book...

Bernard

In that case if the vehicle is not on the DVLA database you will need to use the V765 scheme to reclaim the original number

You are lucky in as much as you have the buff log book as evidence

You will need to download the V765 form and complete as much as you can and then send to the appropriate car club who will verify the evidence and forward to the DVLA

The MVT offers this service BUT can only do it for ex military vehicles.

The DVLA have details of authorised clubs

• 2 weeks later...

Bernard,

I sent off the old style logbook for my 1977 motorbike, last licensed in 1986. Today I got back a nice new V5C - no problems. Except I now have to SORN it - no problem until I forget. ( I declare SORN to be a verb)

Phil

Bernard,

I sent off the old style logbook for my 1977 motorbike, last licensed in 1986. Today I got back a nice new V5C - no problems. Except I now have to SORN it - no problem until I forget. ( I declare SORN to be a verb)

Phil

I think SORN regs have changed that once declared you don't have to renew annually

Well done Phil, that's encouraging.

I've now decided that this project is one too many, I've already broken my own rule of only having one toy at a time by building Rugged Robin, which causes logistical problems and expense, so at least some sort of sanity is prevailing...:-D

Thanks for your input folks, hopefully I will be able to help the owner get all this sorted so he can sell it more easily.

Bernard

And I could have SORN I RE-SORNed one tax exempt vehicle 3 years ago - until a fine for £100 came through the post! But as Nick says, you now no longer have to declare annually.

Didn't some one say DVLA aren't legally allowed to fine you without going through a court? Seem to remember reading that they can only ask for a penalty which you are within your rights to challenge, which I would think you have a good chance of winning in view of the new rules.

I am in a similar situation so await the outcome with interest. I have a New Hudson Autocycle last taxed in '63 that tax disc is on the bike and I have the original buff log book but no V5c I am scared to send anything to Swansea in case it get's "lost" in the system. Up until recently I would have simply taken everything to my local DVLA office in Lincoln but they have all been closed now and you are forced to use Swansea who I have had very poor dealings with in the past. The local office's were in the most part very helpful, willing to go the extra mile and you could deal with the same person each time if need be, I can see huge problems and delays happening as everything has to be done by post with the inevitable losses, time involved etc etc. :cry: I had a problem with my GPW V5c not showing it's year of manufacture only it's date of first UK registration. Despite numerous dating letters from the Museum of Army Transport and the MVT, the USA etc Swansea refused to enter it's build date/month/year on the V5c. In the end after countless phone calls and heated arguments I finally managed to get through to a senior member of the DVLA who sorted it there and then the only problem being he then sent the NEW amended V5c to the previous owner ! :D Luckily we had stayed in touch so it was easily sorted apart from it added further names to the log book :shocked: GOOD LUCK !

I am in a similar situation so await the outcome with interest. I have a New Hudson Autocycle last taxed in '63 that tax disc is on the bike and I have the original buff log book but no V5c I am scared to send anything to Swansea in case it get's "lost" in the system. Up until recently I would have simply taken everything to my local DVLA office in Lincoln but they have all been closed now and you are forced to use Swansea who I have had very poor dealings with in the past. The local office's were in the most part very helpful, willing to go the extra mile and you could deal with the same person each time if need be, I can see huge problems and delays happening as everything has to be done by post with the inevitable losses, time involved etc etc. :cry: I had a problem with my GPW V5c not showing it's year of manufacture only it's date of first UK registration. Despite numerous dating letters from the Museum of Army Transport and the MVT, the USA etc Swansea refused to enter it's build date/month/year on the V5c. In the end after countless phone calls and heated arguments I finally managed to get through to a senior member of the DVLA who sorted it there and then the only problem being he then sent the NEW amended V5c to the previous owner ! :D Luckily we had stayed in touch so it was easily sorted apart from it added further names to the log book :shocked: GOOD LUCK !

If you have proof like the old log book and the tax disc then you need to go down the V765 route to reallocate a registration number

First thing to do is to run a vehicle check online with the DVLA to make sure the number was not sold

You then download a V765 complete and forward to the relevent club authorised with the DVLA for the scheme (list available from the DVLA)

Attach authorised copies (a library etc can do this) and the club should be able to authorise the reissue of the number and forward the V765 to the DVLA

From January the clubs will be able to authorise the copies

The DVLA will then issue the relevent V5

If any body else has issues with the date of manufacture of a Jeep then I suggest they contact the verification officer of the MVT. The MVT has a direct contact in the DVLA for these matters

I think SORN regs have changed that once declared you don't have to renew annually

Are you absolutely certain of that?

(I ask because I SORNed my father's car last year, have just had the reminder stating that it expires next month and needs to be re-SORNed or else taxed & insured in order to avoid committing an offence. A quick search on t'Internet didn't find any evidence of this having changed.)

Chris.