Chassis to identify

Great War truck

We have a fine garden gnome in our garden. I'm not sure what Prue would think of this unit. The plate on the rear axle bears a triangular logo that I have seen before on a 2 ton Hurlburt. I don't know whether this was manufactured by Hurlburt or whether it's from a parts manufacturer. Is the chassis Hurlburt also? Wheels and hubs look right. But not absolutely sure. Nice find if it is. Robert

Sorry Tim, but even the chaps on the US Just Old trucks Forum didn't venture an opinion on it.

One chap did say he could use the tyres but I assume this chassis will be getting kept. Where would you get new tyres for that anyway, if you had to? There are rubber / plastic extrusion and moulding companies here in Aberdeen that could probably extrude section and then just bond it on.

The original chassis in question has no torque rods to the rear axle and no sign of any mounting points. GMC's tend to have these as shown with the type 41. Not a CMC 41.

The diagonal bracing to the front cross member is a definite feature for id.It appears to be riveted in place on the left hand side, however they could be bolt heads shown on the right so may be a latter addition. The Detroit Timken rear end points to American manufacture, as do the use of the wooden spoked wheels.

Interesting to note the bolted sections of the rear axle tubes to the diff casing, this being of a similar design to an early Thornycroft rear end I have here on a chassis. If we use that as a dating point it would place the chassis in question to the period 1912-14. However being American in origin that time frame could be extended out.

Would it be possible to get a measurement of the wheel base and tyre sizes to assist with further ID. Are there are markings on the diff indicating a model?

Doug

My WAG is Acason. From what little photo evidence I have and can see on the net, they have several design features that appear in common. The Timken Detroit Worm gear axle. THe drop axle and hub design. THe front chassis horn design. Front hubs, etc.

A fairly obscure name, to be sure, but they were in biz from 1915 and 1925 with a 2-ton, 3.5-ton and 5-ton. Pics are few. I have some here and there in old books. The front frame horns and spring mounts are somewhat unusual in shape and design and I see that feature in all the pics of the Acason trucks I see. I will not put any money on my guess and it's certainly not a hill I wish to die upon.

Well Alan, I am getting used to your cryptic clues, but this is the first one I have ever worked out. Our mutual friend was very pleased. I will let you know if a chassis number is forthcoming.

Here is a poor picture of a 1919 4 tonner. I am sure the chassis is much earlier. Anyway, thanks for identifying it and solving the mystery. I wonder what will happen to it. I suspect high chance of Chinese razor blades for this unique survivor

Palladium_zpsea3fdeb2.png

To Allan and Richard;

What were the features on this chassis that you linked to the Palladiumn? I don't have a copy Richard of the publication you refer to, to satisfy my inquiring mind.

Likewise the photo posted is not clear enough to show features of the chassis hence the query.

The use of the Detroit axles in the British chassis seems unusual, when most British vehicles of the time were built in house unlike the proprietary components of many American trucks. Vehicles were built elsewhere under license could this be one?

Doug

As well as the axles, the taper to the front of the chassis rails and the design of the forward rear spring hanger compare well to other photographs of Palladiums.

I'm not aware that it was built under license but there's not much information available, so open to evidence to the contrary.

The use of the Detroit axles in the British chassis seems unusual, when most British vehicles of the time were built in house unlike the proprietary components of many American trucks. Vehicles were built elsewhere under license could this be one?

Hi Doug,

Not knowing the age of this chassis, but the new 4 ton Palladium in 1920 had a Timken rear axle and a Continental (US built) engine specially adapted for the lorry ....... all according to the Commercial Motor road test at the time.

See the article here:

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/16th-march-1920/14/a-trial-run-on-a-new-4-tonner

regards, Richard