No maybe about, I am sure I am being very stupid - please help identify if you can...

bogmonster

Question

Hi,

First off, appologies, I know nothing about military vehicles so if you can help please treat me as a military vehicle numpty. I have 4 items that I am trying to identify. They look like stabilization legs for a trailer or vehicle of military origin. I wanted to know a couple of things about them:

What vehicle might they be from?

What sort of capacity they can take?

Here is one: http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t559/madeinpriddy/army_leg_zps88fe6462.jpg

I will feel particularly foolish if you now tell me they are not military but looking at the expensive alloy construction I think they must be. Presumably something that is designed to be air lifted?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BM.

2 answers to this question

Judging by the paint I'd suggest they are of military origin.

Judging by the port fitting, I'd suggest they are either pneumatic shock absorbers, or more likely grease-filled rams, maybe for tracks (same thing used on excavator track idlers to tension tracks - pump with grease to extend ram to tension track).

Edited by N.O.S.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I have seen something like that on a military vehicle but a quick search through the mental archives returns zero.

I am seeing a leg, put down to stabilise a vehicle when something heavy is mounted behind the back wheel. First thing that crossed my mind was a 12m mast on the back of an FFR Land Rover but it does not compute.

I'd say "Yes, it's military, but no I don't know what from."