sherman firefly infos

willy63

hi adrian

ok thanks a lot for infos,i seen pictures of brussel tank museum firefly but not sure all is original inside

i bought some book but there is only drawing not photos

i plan to start to restore my firefly so start to grind and weld correct parts inside.

at this moment when work a lot on a chaffee ,its on goos way .

IMG_1854.jpg

willy

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

hello

thanks for comments

workshop is big bazar !! :D

chaffee is in very good way.first engine is closed.

now need to rebuild the gearboxes hydramatic

for my sherman,i am looking for multibank engine parts and some parts for inside hull

but it's mostly complete

will post some pictures

willy

I have a book somewhere about tanks in Normandy. It tells how, having been issued with a new tank, first thing they did was remove as much of the white paint as they could so that when hit, the flakes would not come off at speed and injure the crew.

they removed white paint ? but what they done ? they painted other color

i never heard this story

for my sherman i m looking for any parts for multibank engine

at this moment i disassembly rusty engine and will made a list of what parts can be used again .

willy

Certainly, flakes of metal were a serious danger but I have never heard of flakes of paint hurting anyone. I think that whoever wrote your book has his flakes mixed up!

David

The white paint was thick. Sheered off by the strike of a round, I can believe it could take an eye out. Even if it only stung a bit, it might stop the gunner from getting the decisive reply back before another round finishes the job or the driver fails to back around the corner to safety. Such margins could be the difference between life and death. I do believe the author referred (but since I canot even remember which book it was, I cannot find it to refer) to his own or others' experience and in his experience it was usual practice.

they removed white paint ? but what they done ? they painted other color

i never heard this story

for my sherman i m looking for any parts for multibank engine

at this moment i disassembly rusty engine and will made a list of what parts can be used again .

willy

In Normandy they left them bare metal. Why paint something else over the top if bare solved the problem? Since then, the interiors of British armoured vehicles have been painted with a "silver" paint with entirely different qualities that does not flake.