Refractory Bricks for Workshop use

N.O.S.

Question

I need some firebricks (refractory or furnace bricks) to act as a heat sink / work area when welding / brazing etc on the bench.

I have some bricks from old electric storage heaters - would these be suitable? Has anyone used these successfully?

3 answers to this question

I need some firebricks (refractory or furnace bricks) to act as a heat sink / work area when welding / brazing etc on the bench.

I have some bricks from old electric storage heaters - would these be suitable? Has anyone used these successfully?

I made a good barbeque out of some years back. Worked quite happily. They were about foot long by 6 inch wide 4 inch or so thick with a channel for the heat pipe to go through. Out of the old big brown radiator storage heaters.

As you will know storage heater bricks are designed as a heat bank storage , but not direct flame. My kids had a camping party last night and I circled out the camp fire with old storage heater bricks!!! Mainly to stop my son expanding it to a 10' beacon, we had a good fire with a proper bottom if you know my meaning and after 5 hours of fire they put up with it quite well no cracks or breaks, hope this helps, John .