Wartime 3-way road accident

P Bellamy

3-way shunt near RAF Grafton Underwood involving a Pool petrol tanker, Dodge Command Car belonging to the 1119th Quartermaster Company and a local car.

Photos from the collection of Charles S. Dale, 384BG Photo Lab:

GUCCC-4.jpg

GUCCC-5.jpg

GUCCC-3.jpg

Edited by P Bellamy
Accreditation updated

Another local prang from the same collection, a GMC of the 3987th Quartermaster Truck Company, stationed at Quartermaster Depot Q-101 in Kettering, and United Counties bus No.152.

Northampton Road, Wellingborough, Weavers Road on the left. http://goo.gl/maps/zaHPa

NRWP2.jpg

NRWP3.jpg

NRWP4.jpg

Note the anti-tank cylinders on the grass verge.

I'll have to check the local newspaper archives to see if they were reported at the time.

Edited by P Bellamy

Interesting pictures thanks for posting. I think period pictures of MV's in civilian settings are always interesting as there are sometimes details of every day war time life unintentionally included in the frame as evidenced by the tank blocks in the GMC/bus pictures.

I am left wondering how the bus and GMC actually ended up coming together ? GMC on the wrong side of the road or the bus turning out of the side road into the path of the truck ?.

Pete

Quote;- I am left wondering how the bus and GMC actually ended up coming together ? GMC on the wrong side of the road or the bus turning out of the side road into the path of the truck ?.

I suppose another thing to consider is we're looking at the picture taken in daylight.....this could have been the result of a 'hours of darkness' accident.... blackout lamps, no street lights, even fog

H

Quote;- I am left wondering how the bus and GMC actually ended up coming together ? GMC on the wrong side of the road or the bus turning out of the side road into the path of the truck ?.

I suppose another thing to consider is we're looking at the picture taken in daylight.....this could have been the result of a 'hours of darkness' accident.... blackout lamps, no street lights, even fog

H

True.......... but the position of the vehicles with regard to the crown of the road and the fact that there are no tyre marks on the road is odd.

I think my money would be on the bus turning out of the side road and you may be right about the ambient conditions, perhaps that would account for the lack of tyre marks........they didn't see each other until they collided.

Pete

The vehicles' positions suggest to me that the most likely explanation is for the GMC to have been on the wrong side and the bus tried to pull over into the opposite lane to avoid it.

Regarding skid marks, remember that driving in the 40s was a completely different experience to modern driving. It's hard to imagine but 30mph was a good, even high, speed for local traffic back then. These vehicles would probably not have been moving anywhere near as fast as average traffic these days, so it's possible their brakes didn't lock up.

Actually, do GMC's have brakes which are good enough to leave black marks? I can't imagine our Morris's brakes locking up, certainly not on a dry road, and I'm sure the bus's brakes would hardly be capable of locking up.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

I don't think either vehicle came out of side road. Note skid marks above red dots - evidence maybe that the GMC was pushed sideways? Maybe GMC was on wrong side of road, realised and moved over to left at same time bus had moved right to avoid collision but bus then had to swerve back left trying to avoid GMC which was about in middle of road looking at skid marks (front and centre tyres - rear axle was unweighted by braking effect) - result as shown.

smiley-sherlock.gif

N Shunt.JPG

The vehicles' positions suggest to me that the most likely explanation is for the GMC to have been on the wrong side and the bus tried to pull over into the opposite lane to avoid it.

Actually, do GMC's have brakes which are good enough to leave black marks? I can't imagine our Morris's brakes locking up, certainly not on a dry road, and I'm sure the bus's brakes would hardly be capable of locking up.

Certainly will Ivor, a GMC running unloaded and with properly maintained brakes will lock up solid if you stand on the pedal, there is no load adjustment system on the hydrovac, my old GMC had exceptional good brakes.

NoS exceptional sleuthing Sir:drive: I'd missed the tyre marks in your picture.............. so.....guilty as charged the Yank was on the wrong side of the road

Pete

Regarding skid marks, remember that driving in the 40s was a completely different experience to modern driving. It's hard to imagine but 30mph was a good, even high, speed for local traffic back then. These vehicles would probably not have been moving anywhere near as fast as average traffic these days, so it's possible their brakes didn't lock up.

Found this:

Due to the high road casualties in 1940 the speed limit for motorists was reduced to 20 mph during the Blackout. Central white lines were painted in the middle of roads (which are still with us today) and curb edges were painted white as well. Kerb finders could also be used which were attached to a walking stick or umbrella.

Notice the white paint on the trees as well.