T's near Oldham

The old heavy load route over the Pennines between Manchester and Huddersfield prior to the M62 the area is known as Standedge, I remember as a child being in that area one Sunday watching a cycle race, later in the day a similar abnormal load came by but it was being moved by Wynns. It also stopped close to the pub which was called "The Winking Light", I think most had to stop part way up to let them cool down, I seem to recall that there were at least 5 ballast tractors pulling and pushing.

HI John,

So this is the same route that Chris Millers Antar and Bonzo Bear, the Mack Interstater would have taken hauling those Markham taps to Dinorwic power station.

Bw,Mike.

Morning Mike,

Yes it would have been, but obviously in the other direction, have you managed to find any photo's of it ?

The old heavy load route over the Pennines between Manchester and Huddersfield prior to the M62 the area is known as Standedge, I remember as a child being in that area one Sunday watching a cycle race, later in the day a similar abnormal load came by but it was being moved by Wynns. It also stopped close to the pub which was called "The Winking Light", I think most had to stop part way up to let them cool down, I seem to recall that there were at least 5 ballast tractors pulling and pushing.
It was 'The Floating Light', my maternal Grandma and Grandad stayed there on their honeymoon c. 1926.

It was 'The Floating Light', my maternal Grandma and Grandad stayed there on their honeymoon c. 1926.

Thanks Bob, that is how history becomes distorted, I should have verified it before I posted. Incidentally it is now completely derelict, have a look at Google street view.

I thought as an Oldham Lad I would add to this thread, the heavy load on its cross Pennine journey was at the time the heaviest moved by road.

The year is 1954 and the load, part of a hydraulis press, weighed in at 185 tons, complete with the trailer it grossed 245 tons, the trailer by the way, known as 'The Abortion' is the one in use in the parade ground at the Great Dorset Show.

Five Diamond T's pulled and pushed their way across the Pennines from the River Don Works of English Steel, Sheffield to Liverpool Docks. As well as the trailer I understand that at least two of the T's survive in preservation, EGG 160 and GLU 654. The picture is taken on the A62 about two miles out of Deph heading up towards Oldham, today there is a brew hut on a layby on the bend, it would have been a welcome site back then!. I'm quite sure that the 'layby' was the original bend and the road has been altered.

The Markham 'Taps' where transported by Chris Miller's from Chestefield to Dinorwig in Snowdonia for use in the 'Electric Mountain' project. A Hydro Electric Power Station, the power station itself is located deep inside the mountain ElidirFawr .

Headed up by 'Bonzo Bear' the 'taps' where carried on a Cometto five bed five traler assisted by Miller's 6 x 4 Volvo, ballested with a lump of concrete!. a picture of the oufit passing through Delph is attached. The big challenge for the Miller Crew was inching their loads deep into the mountain, almost a mile, round acute corners and down 1 in 10 gradients.

Mentioned previously are the Pubs enroute, on the Yorkshire side of Standedge is The Great Western with Redbrook Reservoir opposite, I learned to sale there as a kid, next on the Lancashire side of Standedge is The Flating Light, now a private dwelling and the derilict pub on the way down to Delph was the Horse and Jockey, closed in the early 90's and ravaged by fire in 1997.

I took a trip out the other day and took a few pics, I hope its allowable as I have posted them as well :-).

010.jpg

Regards, John.

On the move.jpg

Passing through Delph.jpg

Up from Delph, the same bend as the T's pic..jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

The year is 1954 and the load, part of a hydraulis press, weighed in at 185 tons, complete with the trailer it grossed 245 tons, the trailer by the way, known as 'The Abortion' is the one in use in the parade ground at the Great Dorset Show.

Regards, John.

Thanks for posting those but the trailer is 200 tonner TM413, the Abortion was an ancient 4 axle girder trailer on solid tyres.